Lawmakers in France have approved a new law banning the dangerous practice of ‘conversion therapy’ which attempts to change the sexual orientation or gender identity of LGBTQ people. Continue reading “France Bans Harmful, Dangerous Conversion Therapy”
Some news stories you might have missed:
• The Advocate: France has lifted its homophobic ban on queer men giving blood. The regulation has been in place since the early days of the HIV epidemic. Continue reading “News Round-Up: January 12, 2022”
Some news items you might have missed:
• Outsports: Out pro baseball player (and country music songwriter) Bryan Ruby (above) sang the national anthem at Dodger Stadium on Sunday as the Los Angeles Dodgers hosted the San Diego Padres. Continue reading “News Round-Up: September 14, 2021”
French police were called last Friday after neighbors complained about noise that seemed to come from a late night party.
Around 9 pm, the officers arrived at a warehouse in Collegien, around 20 miles from the centre of Paris. They found about 11 people hanging out in the car park.
At 11 pm, after gaining legal entry into the warehouse, police officers discovered a rave/orgy with 81 participants complete with sound and lighting equipment.
The Independent reports the participants were each fined 135 Euros ($161 US) for being in breach of the current coronavirus curfew in effect. France currently restricts outside movement from 6 pm to 6 am.
Police reports also indicated there were “problems with masks and social distancing” as well. Some party-goers were also detained for questioning.
This is just the latest example of folks growing fatigued of COVID lockdown rules as the pandemic enters its second year.
Last December, Belgian police were called to a house party near a COVID clinic where a 52-person orgy was in full swing.
Anti-LGBTQ Hungarian lawmaker Jozsef Szajer was among those arrested and quickly resigned from his position.
While health concerns during a pandemic are definitely a serious issue, folks on the Twitterverse tried to find some humor in the moment.
Damn, busted for going over France’s well-known “80 persons or under” orgy rule. https://t.co/kaW7NYP42f
— Clifford Asness (@CliffordAsness) February 4, 2021
Unprecedented times call for unprecedented orgies.
— J von Winter (@theonlyJaReW) February 4, 2021
You can only call it orgy if it’s from the orgy region of France. Otherwise, it’s sparkling group sex.
— Brian Fulton (@fulton4montice1) February 4, 2021
I can’t stop thinking abt the 81 person orgy in Paris, and how I don’t know 81 people in real life that I even want to talk to
— Fakakta South (@FakaktaSouth) February 4, 2021
I’m not much of an orgy man myself but it’s always nice to get invites, you know?
— Prince Vogelfrei (@PrinceVogel) February 4, 2021
My favorite part was when they said some of them weren’t social distancing.
AT AN ORGY?
— Bill (@sinclairaz1) February 4, 2021
Terrible behavior in a pandemic, of course, but it’s better than catching it because you got sneezed on at Home Depot https://t.co/7YKUsPNWB6
— Jason Isbell (@JasonIsbell) February 4, 2021
Jokes aside, during the ongoing pandemic please remember to wear a face mask in public, wash your hands often, and practice social distancing.
The French newspaper l’Indépendant reports that a 52-year-old father drove 500 miles to confront and threaten his daughter who had called him earlier in the day to come out to him as a lesbian.
The young woman, whose name hasn’t been released, had been dating another woman and began the process of coming out to friends at college. But when she phoned her father on October 16 to share the news, he reportedly jumped in his car and drove – without stopping – from Strasbourg to Norbonne.
Upon arriving at her college campus, he found his daughter and began berating her and threatening to “cut her throat.”
Eventually, the police showed up and arrested the dad for making threats and harassment. The daughter, her girlfriend, and her mother filed charges.
The man was arraigned in Norbonne’s criminal court on Monday, October 19.
Some news items you might have missed:
• The Advocate: Supreme Court Justices Samuel Alito and Clarence Thomas have opened the court’s term by calling for the overturning of its 2015 marriage equality decision. The Obergefell v. Hodges decision threatens religious liberty, Alito wrote in a statement in which Thomas concurred.
• The Gaily Grind: Nearly a week after President Trump instructed the far-right extremist Proud Boys group to “stand back and stand by” during 2020’s first presidential debate after being asked to condemn them, internet users have reclaimed the #ProudBoys hashtag by flooding Twitter and Reddit with photos of gay men in love and expressing physical affection.
— Canadian Forces in 🇺🇸 (@CAFinUS) October 4, 2020
• Pink News: Nursing student Michelle Ramos Vargas has become the 30th known trans person to be killed in the United States so far this year, and the sixth killed in Puerto Rico in the same period. Vargas’ body was found with multiple gunshot wounds in San Germán, Puerto Rico in the early hours of September 30.
• NowThis News: A super-cut of the times Donald Trump, who now has COVID-19, has mocked face masks. ‘A lot of people don’t want to wear masks.’
• Wall Street Journal: The IRS is investigating longtime National Rifle Association CEO Wayne LaPierre for possible criminal tax fraud related to his personal taxes. According to public filings, his total reported pay from 2014 to 2018 was $11.2 million. In August, he was charged in a civil suit by New York Attorney GeneralLetitia James with taking millions of dollars of allegedly undisclosed compensation in the form of free yacht trips, private jet flights for his family, exotic safaris and other benefits.
• BBC: Facing a rising rate of coronavirus infections in France which began to grow exponentially in late August, officials in Paris will shut all bars completely from Tuesday after the French government raised the city’s coronavirus alert to maximum following a period of high infection rates. On Saturday, the country reported nearly 17,000 infections marking the highest rate since the country started widespread testing.
• Star-Telegram: Trump supporter Jason Lata was arrested on suspicion of assault causing bodily injury after he punched a man in a video clip that went viral. Video of the incident shows Lata in a hat yelling profanities at the victim and screaming “Turn it off!” as an anti-Donald Trump rap song by YG appeared to be playing in the background. Lata, who was standing with other men who were wearing Trump T-shirts, then punched the victim in the face.
Violent Trump supporter at a rally in Texas assaults a peaceful counter-protester pic.twitter.com/s950Q3kgTj
— Fifty Shades of Whey (@davenewworld_2) October 3, 2020
Leaders in Europe are facing the possibility of new lockdowns as cases of COVID-19 have begun to surge again.
The New York Times reports:
In France, President Emmanuel Macron warned on Friday that the authorities were doing “everything to avoid a new lockdown.” A day later, the country reported over 7,300 new virus cases, its highest daily tally since March 31 and a number that sent its seven-day average to a new record of 4,668.
As Germany faces its own more modest resurgence, Chancellor Angela Merkel said this week that managing the pandemic would become more challenging in the fall and winter, as the colder weather drives people back indoors. “We will have to live with this virus for a long time to come,” she said.
The sobering comments from Ms. Merkel and Mr. Macron come as European countries brace for — or even appear to be entering — a second wave of infections. Nowhere on the continent is the threat more alarming than in Spain, where the Times database shows that the seven-day average has passed 7,600.
|France celebrates 4-2 World Cup victory over Croatia|
For the second time, France won the World Cup in true championship style on Sunday ending Croatia’s dreams of a first major title with a 4-2 victory.
WORLD CHAMPIONS: Here’s how football fans in Paris reacted to France winning the #WorldCupFinal against Croatia, #FRA4-2 #CRO https://t.co/jmSwnAIN1T #tictocnews pic.twitter.com/pgxf1fKrt2
— TicToc by Bloomberg (@tictoc) July 15, 2018
France overpowers Croatia in #WorldCupFinal to lift the trophy for the second time in 20 years. https://t.co/r7fg6LSpWL For more coverage: https://t.co/R675AbD0Le pic.twitter.com/X17W8tRlZO
— Reuters Top News (@Reuters) July 15, 2018
— Larissa Kennelly (@LarissaKennelly) July 15, 2018
France win the World Cup! Here is how Paris reacted at the final whistle! 🇫🇷 pic.twitter.com/mLNgHNDYzT
— Soccer AM (@SoccerAM) July 15, 2018
Croatian President Kolinda Grabar-Kitarović Just Won People’s Heart Yet Again. Standing In Rain Without Any Umbrella And Hugging The Players To Appreciate Their Game. 👏🙏 #Croatia #WorldCupFinal #CROFRA #FRACRO #FrancevsCroatia pic.twitter.com/NH2Ex29R2n
— Sir Ravindra Jadeja (@SirJadejaaaa) July 15, 2018
Donald Trump, true to form, licked Russian Vladimir Putin’s backside as he congratulated France on the victory.
Trump is crushing so hard on Putin. You can bet he’s gonna put out at the one-on-one summit with his boss, Vladimir.
Congratulations to France, who played extraordinary soccer, on winning the 2018 World Cup. Additionally, congratulations to President Putin and Russia for putting on a truly great World Cup Tournament — one of the best ever!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 15, 2018
|German Chancellor Angela Merkel faces off with Donald Trump
(Image via Instagram)
German Chancellor Angela Merkel posted the above pic to her Instagram account this morning showing what was clearly a tense moment between Donald Trump and the other leaders of the G7 summit.
The caption read, “Day two of the G7 summit in Canada: spontaneous meeting between two working sessions.”
The saying goes, “A picture is worth a thousand words.”
As has been reported extensively, Trump went into the meetings with tensions already high over proposed trade issues.
From The New York Times:
The president also repeatedly made clear his level of anger about the longstanding trade policies that he said have hurt America’s workers and undermined the country’s national security by weakening America’s “balance sheet.”
Mr. Trump said that the United States continues to renegotiate the North American Free Trade Agreement with Mexico and Canada, which he has said is one of the worst trade deals that the United States ever agreed to.
On Saturday, he said that the United States might have to negotiate separate trade deals with Mexico and Canada if they can’t reach a three-way agreement to make the broader trade agreement fair for Americans.
Angela Merkel’s office has released this photo taken today at the G7, which tells you a lot about how things went. pic.twitter.com/IXX6K3ayys
— David Mack (@davidmackau) June 9, 2018
Merkel has a PhD in Physical Chemistry, but she will also beat Trump at his own social media game if she so chooses. 😂 https://t.co/LkAgfmuPFi
— Kaivan Shroff (@KaivanShroff) June 9, 2018