True triple threat Nick Adams (Priscilla Queen of the Desert, Wicked) stars as “Cooper” in the highly-anticipated gay-themed romantic comedy Fire Island The Movie alongside Bowen Yang, Margaret Cho and the film’s writer Joel Kim Booster. The film is set for release today, June 3, on Hulu. Continue reading “Nick Adams & Hulu’s New Rom-Com ‘Fire Island’”
Acclaimed singer Seth Sikes, who has performed on stages around the world, has spent the past several months out on Fire Island, the oh-so-gay summer getaway.
During that time, he decided to learn some new skills like video editing. And in doing so serves up this reimagined version of “Belle,” the opening number to the Broadway musical The Beauty and the Beast, with new lyrics co-written with Tony Award winner Lisa Lambert (The Drowsy Chaperone).
As in the original, Sikes sees himself as an avid reader who gets lost in the literary worlds he enjoys. But in this version, he’s continually scolded by the denizens of The Pines to wear his face mask.
Look, there he goes without his mask as always I hope he’s not on crystal meth With a dreamy far-off look and his nose stuck in a book Will you please remember: Pull your mask up, Seth!
From muscle boys to drag queens, they all sing out, reminding him as he makes his way through the village, “An aging twink should keep his mask on always!”
In addition to the clever lyrics, the music video includes gorgeous drone footage from high above The Pines.
“It was a different kind of summer on Fire Island this year,” Sikes tells Instinct. “It was gorgeous and fun, as always, but the pandemic changed the rules of socializing. Interacting on the beach, on the boardwalk, or at a tea dance, became tricky. And if you forgot your mask, heaven help you!
“This video is a tribute to the lighter side of the health crisis, featuring many of my Pines neighbors,” he added. “There’s a serious message here – but we had a lot of fun making it!”
“I can’t perform live on stage, so making these videos has been my only creative outlet,” Sikes recently told HuffPost. “And who doesn’t need a silly distraction from all the terrible news reports we read every day?”
One of New York City’s most popular cabaret singers, Sikes has regularly sold-out concerts in Manhattan and across the country.
Cabaret performer Seth Sikes’s new video pays tribute to two of his favorite things: Judy Garland and the Fire Island Ferry.
Sike’s new video “Atchison Topeka (Fire Island Ferry)” is his loving homage to Garland’s “On the Atchison Topeka and the Santa Fe” from the MGM classic film musical The Harvey Girls.
“I’ve been hiding out on Fire Island since Covid hit and learning the tricks of the trade: editing, sound mixing and writing. If we never get back to normal then at least I’ve learned a new skill.”
Sikes was supposed to perform his latest show Seth Sikes Sings the ‘20s! at Feinstein’s/54 Below last Spring but because of Covid-19 it has been rescheduled for October 26 at 7PM. Tickets are available here.
• Global Pride 2020: More than 57 million people from more than 163 countries joined the 27-hour virtual event, Global Pride 2020, that took place on June 27. Major artists including Laverne Cox, Elton John, Adam Lambert, Olivia Newton-John, Kesha, and Pabllo Vittar appeared alongside world leaders including former US Vice President Joe Biden, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, and openly gay Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar.
• Andrew Christian Blog: I’m not saying they’re sugar daddies but check out this list of the ‘6 Richest Gay Men in the World.’
• Instinct Magazine: On the last day of Pride Month, Nicholas Petricca (pictured above), lead singer of pop band Walk The Moon (‘Shut Up and Dance’), came out as bisexual on his Instagram page. Petricca posted a photo of a quote by Harvey Milk followed by a four-minute video where he started the video by saying, “Hi. My name is Nicholas. I’m the lead singer of a band called WALK THE MOON and I’m bisexual.”
• CinemaBlend: Matt Bomer explains why it’s been so important to tell the story of a gay superhero on DC Universe’s Doom Patrol. In his role as ‘Larry Trainor/Negative Man,’ Bomer says he gets to not only address the issue of coming out, but overcoming the guilt and shame many LGBTQ people feel in their journey.
• Pink News: Marvel star Tessa Thompson says her bisexual character, Valkyrie, will ‘push the bounds of’ queer representation in future films. Thompson has already told fans to expect a queer storyline in the upcoming Thor: Love and Thunder, teasing that as Asgard’s new king, “she needs to find her queen.”
• ABC News: About six-and-a-half years after criticizing then-President Barack Obama for doing the same, Donald Trump is weighing in on the controversial Redskins team name. The franchise put out a statement on Friday saying that it plans to “undergo a thorough review of the team’s name.” With a name change seeming all but certain for Washington’s NFL team, Trump tweeted his disapproval on Monday.
They name teams out of STRENGTH, not weakness, but now the Washington Redskins & Cleveland Indians, two fabled sports franchises, look like they are going to be changing their names in order to be politically correct. Indians, like Elizabeth Warren, must be very angry right now!
In this episode of ‘Gays Gone Wild,’ “Fire Island” was trending on Twitter today after several social media posts went viral featuring tons of shirtless gays at shoulder-to-shoulder parties at the gay summer mecca, Fire Island.
No masks, no social distancing.
Journalist Chris Weidner curated the following posts and reports via Twitter.
Among the ‘Covidiots’ is an apparent 23-year-old Giancarlo Kristian Albanese, currency analyst at EverythingFx. It looksl like he was planning on returning to his parents house (where he lives) in White Plains, NY.
Except – his mother reportedly if undergoing chemotherapy, and his brother commented on Giancarlo’s post saying he is now unwelcome at home.
Hannon later posted an ‘apology’ video which seemed to twist and turn itself in knots.
On one hand, he said he never actually tested positive for COVID-19, but he believed he had experienced it. BUT – even though he took a test for the virus, he still headed out to Fire Island to frolic in the sun amid the gays.
He ‘apologized’ for the ‘misrepresentation’ of his COVID story and that his video rant was never meant to be posted to his account as it was just ‘bad humor’ intended to be shared among friends.
He also denounced so-called ‘cancel culture’ for how his own posts on social media came back to bite him in the ass.
First of all, pal, stop posting every second of your life on social media if you don’t want to deal with the ramifications. You’re not that cool.
Second, we can’t cancel what hasn’t happened. I’d never heard of Hannon before today. The idea of ‘cancel culture’ is to ‘cancel’ prominent individuals who have abused public trust in having a following.
Dude, you ain’t that famous…
Twitter was NOT havin it:
we’re gonna be in quarantine forever because you expired milk ass f words can’t not wear your ~brand new speedo~ to fire island for one goddamn year pic.twitter.com/b5ktvC0LQq
it’s sending me into a fucking rage seeing videos of all the gays at fire island who decided the pandemic is over because they couldn’t wait a year to wear their tacky speedos and do ghb. if any of you were there please block me, you’re an embarrassment
If you went to Fire Island this weekend do us all in NYC/Long Island a favor and extend your Fire Island stay for an extra two weeks. Stay where you are. Parties are fun, but this shit was fucking stupid. Quarantine your ass like our lives depend on it.
You’d think we gay men would have learned from the last pandemic that brought our community to its knees (HIV) and that we’re still reeling from. We criticize Trumpists for denying science and then turn around and do this. Embarrassing.
A Manhattan man was found dead in a Fire Island swimming pool in an apparent drowning, Suffolk County police said Friday.
Officers were called to the Canteen eatery at Fire Island Pines around 7 p.m. Thursday, authorities said. That’s where emergency responders found Carlos Medina, 32, unconscious and unresponsive in the restaurant’s pool.
Medina was taken by boat to the Marine Bureau Headquarters at Timber Point and then moved to Southside Hospital in Bay Shore, where he was pronounced dead, police said.
The medical examiner will determine the cause of death. The Suffolk County Police Homicide Squad is investigating the incident, although police said it does not appear to be criminal.
• Hunky Ian Parks of Where The Bears Are chats on the upcoming 6th season of the popular web series.
Where the Bears Are is a comedy/mystery web series that has accumulated over 23 MILLION VIEWS over five seasons and won the “BEST GAY WEB SERIES” award from several LGBT media outlets.
The show – described as a cross between The Golden Girls and Murder She Wrote – features four Bears living in the hills of Silverlake forever finding themselves in the middle of a murder mystery. There’s constant tongue in cheek humor and big, hairy men thrown in for eye candy.
The show has a world-wide fan base and the creators/stars have been flown to Europe, Australia, and Mexico.
The Bears promise Season 6 to be one of their most ambitious yet featuring a spy plot line, a murder AND the return of one of their most notorious villains!
Because, why should straight people be the only ones who get to embarrass themselves on reality seaside locales?
Get ready to see all of Fire Island – The Pines, The Grove, the Meat Rack – featured throughout the season.
“We fell in love with Fire Island years ago the minute we stepped off the ferry,” say executive producers Kelly Ripa and Mark Consuelos. “We’re excited to share the long standing magic of the island with this new series and to be working again with our Logo family.”
Clip synopsis: Fire Island’ follows a group of sexy young professionals living together in a beachfront share house for the summer as they search for the romance, temptation and thrills that have brought the LGBTQ community to the island for decades.