Earlier in March, former Vice President Mike Pence announced he could not endorse his former boss, Donald Trump, for president in 2024. Now, Trump’s former Secretary of Defense, Mark Esper, has declared that he will “definitely not be voting for Trump” in the upcoming election. Continue reading “Trump’s Former Defense Secretary: “Definitely Not Voting For Trump””
Trump ‘Terminates’ Defense Secretary Via Tweet

Mr. Esper’s downfall had been expected for months, after he took the rare step in June of disagreeing publicly with Mr. Trump and saying that active-duty military troops should not be sent to control the wave of protests in American cities. The president, who had threatened to use the Insurrection Act to do exactly that, was furious, officials said.
Mr. Esper, 56, a former secretary of the Army and a former Raytheon executive, became defense secretary last July after Mr. Trump withdrew the nomination of Patrick M. Shanahan, the acting defense secretary, amid an F.B.I. inquiry into allegations from Mr. Shanahan’s former wife that he punched her in the stomach. Mr. Shanahan denied the accusations.
Mr. Shanahan had been standing in for Jim Mattis, who resigned as defense secretary in 2018, citing his own differences with the president.
…Chris will do a GREAT job! Mark Esper has been terminated. I would like to thank him for his service.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 9, 2020
BREAKING: Trump fires Defense Secretary Mark Esper #MTPDaily pic.twitter.com/NV26X6ErtA
— Meet the Press (@MeetThePress) November 9, 2020
Report: Trump Already Planning Post-Election List Of Firings

Wray and Haspel are despised and distrusted almost universally in Trump’s inner circle. He would have fired both already, one official said, if not for the political headaches of acting before Nov. 3.
Why it matters: A win, no matter the margin, will embolden Trump to ax anyone he sees as constraining him from enacting desired policies or going after perceived enemies.
As for Wray, whose expected firing was first reported by the Washington Post, Trump is angry his second FBI chief didn’t launch a formal investigation into Hunter Biden’s foreign business connections — and didn’t purge more officials Trump believes abused power to investigate his 2016 campaign’s ties to Russia.
Trump also grew incensed when Wray testified in September that the FBI has not seen widespread election fraud, including with mail-in ballots.
Trump soured on Esper over the summer when the Defense secretary rebuffed the idea of sending active-duty military into the streets to deal with racial justice protests and distanced himself from the clearing of Lafayette Square for a photo op at St. John’s church.
Defense Sec Didn’t See Evidence Of Impending Embassy Attacks

Mark Esper on CBS: I didn’t see the intelligence about Iran posing an imminent threat to 4 US embassies, but I believe President Trump when he says there was one pic.twitter.com/pAaMVXGAde
— Aaron Rupar (@atrupar) January 12, 2020
But later in the broadcast, House Intelligence Committee Chairman Rep. Adam Schiff says there was nothing shown to him in ‘Gang of 8’ intelligence briefings that showed any specific evidence regarding attacks on 4 U.S. embassies.
Trump said on Fox that the intelligence showed Iran plotting against four of our embassies. As a member of the Gang of 8, that was news to me. Now, Esper says this was not intelligence, only Trump’s personal belief. That’s no basis to take us to the brink of war. pic.twitter.com/G2VRkoW9QE
— Adam Schiff (@RepAdamSchiff) January 12, 2020
He. Just. Made. It. Up. https://t.co/H0pY55SWoe
— George Conway (@gtconway3d) January 11, 2020