Andy Cohen & GLAAD Call For End To Gay Blood Ban

Andy Cohen on ‘Watch What Happens Next Live’
This morning, Good Morning America ran an in-depth piece about Lukus Estok, a young gay man who had recovered from COVID-19, but was turned away from donating his plasma at the New York Blood Center because he is gay. In a new statement to Good Morning America, an FDA spokesperson stated that “the FDA is committed to considering alternatives to the time-based deferral for men who have sex with men by generating the scientific evidence that will support an effective individual risk assessment-based blood donor questionnaire.” The FDA also revealed to Good Morning America that it is “working to commence a pilot study that will enroll about 2000 men who have sex with men and who would be willing to donate blood.” “The FDA is placing American lives on the line as they debate stigma, not science,” said GLAAD President and CEO Sarah Kate Ellis. “During the current crisis, the FDA is wasting time and money on a pilot study when all the scientific research and medical authorities plainly state that gay and bi man should not be restricted from donating blood.” “All blood donations, regardless of sexual orientation, are screened to ensure healthy samples and now the American Medical Association, leading elected officials, and more than 600 medical professionals have all done the work for the FDA and unequivocally state that this ban needs to end,” added Ellis. On his Thursday evening broadcast of Watch What Happens Live, Andy Cohen revealed he was denied from giving plasma after surviving COVID-19. He called out the FDA’s restrictions for being based on “stigma rather than science,” which is ultimately impeding on the urgent need for blood donations from Americans, as well as plasma donations from COVID-19 survivors. Watch Andy Cohen’s impassioned speech here.

GLAAD thanked Andy on Twitter for speaking out against the ban:

Earlier this week, attorney generals from 19 states and D.C. issued a letter to the Assistant Health Secretary, requesting that the FDA further loosen its ban on blood donations from gay and bisexual men. (via press release)

Trump Suggests Injecting ‘Disinfectant’ As Possible Treatment For COVID-19

After Donald Trump spent weeks touting the power and efficacy of malaria drug hydroxychloroquine, a study at a Veterans Administration hospital showed more folks who received the drug actually died than the patients who only received standard care. But don’t worry – Trump has more ideas. Today, at the White House press briefing he pitched the idea of injecting COVID-19 patients with disinfectant to kill the virus. Via The Independent:

Donald Trump, a businessman by training and trade, floated more trial medical trial balloons on Thursday night – repeatedly suggesting disinfectant be injected into the bodies of humans to cure coronavirus patients while doubling down on his claims that sunlight kills the deadly virus.

“I see the disinfectant that knocks it out in a minute, one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside or almost a cleaning,” the president said during his daily Covid-19 briefing.

A senior health official, under questioning from reporters, later said federal laboratories are not considering or trying to develop such a treatment option.

Another 4.4 Million File For Unemployment Benefits

(graphic via MarketWatch)
The Labor Department reports 4.4 million people filed for unemployment benefits last week marking the fifth straight week of job losses measured in the millions. From MarketWatch:

The spike in unemployment has likely pushed the jobless rate to between 15% and 20%, economists estimate. The only other time in American history when unemployment was that high was in the early stages of the Great Depression almost a century ago.

In less than two months, the pandemic has eliminated all the 23 million jobs created after the 2007-2009 Great Recession.

Anderson Cooper’s Interview With Las Vegas Mayor Was A Wild Ride

Las Vegas Mayor Carolyn Goodman speaks to CNN’s Anderson Cooper (screen capture)
News watchers were glued to their screens this afternoon as Las Vegas Mayor Carolyn Goodman spoke with CNN’s Anderson Cooper regarding opening up the city’s businesses in spite of the ongoing coronavirus threat. From CNN:

Las Vegas Mayor Carolyn Goodman on Wednesday repeatedly called for the city’s businesses to reopen while refusing to provide any social distancing guidelines on how to do so safely.

“I am not a private owner. That’s the competition in this country. The free enterprise and to be able to make sure that what you offer the public meets the needs of the public,” Goodman, an independent, told CNN’s Anderson Cooper.

“Right now, we’re in a crisis health-wise, and so for a restaurant to be open or a small boutique to be open, they better figure it out. That’s their job. That’s not the mayor’s job.”

On Tuesday, during an interview with MSNBC’s Katy Tur, Goodman said, “What I assume is that everybody is a coronavirus carrier — that 100% of our population is asymptomatic, but a carrier. My whole opinion is: get our people back to work.” Goodman added, ”Assume everybody is a carrier. And then you start from an even slate. And tell the people what to do. And let the businesses open and competition will destroy that business if, in fact, they become evident that they have disease, they’re closed down. It’s that simple.”

The problem with that approach is, of course, it can take weeks for it to become evident a restaurant or casino has become an epicenter for the disease. Cooper and Goodman spoke for a lengthy 15 minutes that seemed to ricochet from angle to angle. Nearly halfway through the segment, Cooper attempted to explain how businesses in China are rearranging seating to try and tamp down infections, but as he brought up a graphic of a seating arrangement, Goodman replied, “This isn’t China, this is Las Vegas.” Cooper could only offer up, “Wow, that’s really ignorant.”

Las Vegas Entertainment Community Unites In Song ‘Needing Each Other’

The world-famous Las Vegas Strip
The world of Las Vegas entertainment comes together in this inspirational video, “Needing Each Other.” Written and produced by Keith Thompson (Musical Director for Jersey Boys, creator of The Cocktail Cabaret, founder of The Composers Showcase at The Smith Center) and co-produced by Alan and Kathi Glist, the song’s accompanying video features messages of hope and optimism from well-known entertainers and athletes who are standing in solidarity with each other. Since the Las Vegas Strip went dark in mid-March, hundreds of Las Vegas entertainers have been forced off the stage and sidelined. To help out-of-work performers, musicians, and those in the arts and entertainment community who are in need of financial assistance during this difficult time, the TCS Entertainment Community Relief Fund has been established.
Composer/music director Keith Thompson
To donate, please visit thecomposersshowcase.com and click on Donations – Relief Fund. Those wishing to apply for monetary relief from the fund can receive an application by emailing a request directly to composersshowcaselv@gmail.com, with “relief fund application request” in the subject of the email.  All requests are confidential and recipients will remain anonymous.

Big props to everyone involved for stepping up and contributing their talents: Video production and editing was provided by Jeff Lester and Jesseca Zwerg of Big Picture Studios, and audio production was provided by Jeff “Bonzai” Caruso of Green Lion Recording Studios Las Vegas. Featured singers include Vin A., Vinny Adinolfi, Jay Alger, Jassen Allen, Susan Anton, Tony Arias, Brent Barrett, Dennis Blair, Bernie Blanks, Karalyn Clark, Travis Cloer, Douglas Crawford, Jimmy Dennings, Nicole Pryor Dernersesian, Vita Corimbi Drew, Daniel Emmet, Bruce Ewing, Kaylie Foster, Elisa Furr, Gret Menzies Gonzalez, Cherity Harchis, Todd Hart, Bucky Heard, Dr. Richard Hodges, Clint Holmes, Kelly Clinton Holmes, Liz Hyde, Chadwick Johnson, Michelle Johnson, Colte Julian, Randal Keith, Amanda King, Liza Likins, Dana Martin, Krissy Johnson Millstein, Christine Hudman Pardy, Effie Passero, Kevan Patriquin, Ron Remke, David “Dai” Richards, Niki Scalera, Dan Schumann, Giada Valenti, Janien Valentine, Kelly Vohnn, Maren Wade, Jonathan Williams, Valerie Witherspoon, Jaquelyn Holland-Wright and Eric Jordan Young. The orchestra consists of Philip Fortenberry on piano; John Miceli on drums; Danny Miranda on bass; Lauren Cordell, Rebecca Sabine, Rob Taylor and Sage West on violin; De Ann Letourneau and Yunior Lopez on viola; Lindsey Springer, Moonlight Tran and David Warner on cello; Gary Cordell, Dan Falcone, Gil Kaupp and Wes Marshall on trumpet; Andrew Boostrom and Nathan Tanouye on trombone; Eric Tewalt on saxophone; and Beth Lano on French horn. Messages of hope on the video were provided by Susan Anton, Australian Bee Gees, Rick Barry, Dennis Bono, Lorraine Hunt Bono, Artie Butler, Carrot Top, Clint and Kelly Clinton Holmes, Frederick da Silva, Joyce DeWitt, Roy Firestone, Mick Fleetwood, Ronnie Foster, Mat Franco, Spencer Haywood, Thomas John, John Katsilometes, Frank Marino, Deana Martin, Myron Martin, Bill Medley, Stevie Nicks, Paige O’Hara, Tony Orlando, Chaz Palminteri, Marianne Phoenix, Irwin Raymer and Thunder From Down Under.

Podcast: Leslie Jordan’s InstaStardom, Idaho Challenged On Anti-Trans Laws, All-Star Celebration Announced For Sondheim’s 90th

The Randy Report podcast

The Randy Report podcast delivers the week's top stories in a quick, convenient podcast - 'the 60 Minutes of gay news - only shorter' In this week’s podcast: • A Texas couple tragically dies within hours of each other due to COVID-19 • Idaho’s new anti-transgender laws are already being challenged in court • Actor Leslie Jordan has become an Instagram sensation surging from 80K to 3 million followers. Find him on Instagram here. • The new Netflix documentary Circus of Books chronicles the journey of a middle-class, straight Jewish couple from everyday entrepreneurs to accidental LGBTQ activists • A vintage photo of two men named ‘Tommy’ and ‘Buzz’ has captured the romantic imagination of gay internet • Huge stars will perform on the streaming event, Take Me To The World: A Sondheim 90th Birthday Celebration, on April 26 All that and more in this episode of The Randy Report

Study: More Deaths Among Those Given Malaria Drug Vs Standard Care

Donald Trump has famously been promoting the malaria drug hydroxychloroquine as a potential cure for COVID-19 but a new study at Veterans Health Administration medical centers shows the drug had “no benefit” for those diagnosed with the virus. In fact, there were more deaths among those who received the drug versus standard care. While not a huge experiment, researchers looked at the use of the drug on 368 male veterans who were hospitalized with confirmed coronavirus infection and were either discharged or died by April 11. According to the Associated Press, 28 percent who were treated with hydroxychloroquine plus usual care died, versus 11 percent of those provided with just standard care. Among a group of patients given hydroxychloroquine plus azithromycin, 22 percent died although the researchers indicate the group wasn’t large enough to rule out other factors.  Additionally, the study found the drug didn’t seem to make any difference in regard to patients needing a ventilator. Although side effects were not tracked specifically throughout the study, researchers did note the drug might have caused damage to other organs. This doesn’t come as a surprise as hydroxychloroquine has long been known to have side effects like causing blindness or affecting heartbeats. Scientists in Brazil who were studying an older version of the drug, chloroquine, ended part of their research after a quarter of those being given a higher dose developed heart rhythm issues. Interestingly, POLITICO recently reported that Trump and his buddies at Fox News have all suddenly fallen silent regarding the medication. Trump’s last mention of the drug came on April 14 just days after the study ended. As I recently reported, Gilead Sciences’ experimental drug remdesivir seems to be the front-runner in terms of a drug that may actually help COVID-19 patients.

Trump Blames Obama For Coronavirus Tests That Didn’t Exist Until This Year

Donald Trump during White House press briefing
Over the weekend, Donald Trump continued to push the idea that testing for the coronavirus was slowed because his administration “inherited a lot of garbage” from the Obama administration. On Saturday, Trump told reporters that the CDC “had obsolete tests, old tests, broken tests.” The statement makes no sense whatsoever since a test couldn’t have been developed before the virus was discovered, which first happened in China in late 2019. That was almost three years after Obama left the White House. Additionally, the World Health Organization offered to provide tests for the coronavirus, but the Centers for Disease Control insisted on developing its own. But the first round of tests didn’t work accurately, the resulting delay allowed the virus to promulgate across the country for weeks during February and early March. You can see Trump deflect responsibility in the video below. By the way, the softball question framed to blame Obama came from a reporter at the ultra Trump-loving One America News Network (OANN).

David Furnish Sets Record Straight About Obama, Ebola, Trump And COVID-19

L-R David Furnish, Elton John (via Facebook)
David Furnish, husband to international pop star Elton John, shared on Facebook some misinformation about President Obama’s handling of the Ebola outbreak in 2014 as well as some fact-checking of Trump’s bumbling handling of the ongoing COVID-19 threat. Furnish says while he didn’t write the original post, he wanted people to have the facts. Well worth the reading.

For those complaining about Trump being blamed for the coronavirus/COVID-19 pandemic numbers in America: a little history lesson for everyone on both sides of the political divide. I think it’s important that we understand the truth, especially come November when it’s time to vote. Forgive the length, but it’s really important to understand all the facts.

In December 2013, an 18-month-old boy in Guinea was bitten by a bat and died a brutal death a day later. After that, there were five more fatal cases. When Ebola spread out of the Guinea borders into neighboring Liberia and Sierra Leone in July 2014, President Obama activated the Emergency Operations Center at the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta. The CDC immediately deployed CDC personnel to West Africa to coordinate a response that included vector tracing, testing, education, logistics, and communication.

Altogether, the CDC, under President Obama, trained 24,655 medical workers in West Africa, educating them on how to prevent and control the disease before a single case left Africa or reached the U.S.

Working with the U.N. and the World Health Organization President Obama ordered the re-routing of travelers heading to the U.S. through certain specific airports equipped to handle mass testing.

Back home in America, more than 6,500 people were trained through mock outbreaks and practice scenarios. That was done before a single case hit America.

Three months after President Obama activated this unprecedented response, on September 30, 2014, we detected our first case in the U.S.A. A man had traveled from West Africa to Dallas and somehow slipped through the testing protocol. He was immediately detected and isolated. He died a week later. Two nurses who tended to him contracted Ebola but later recovered. All the protocols had worked. It was contained.

The Ebola epidemic could have easily become a pandemic, but thanks to the actions of our government under President Obama, it never did. Those THREE EBOLA CONFIRMED CASES were the ONLY cases of Ebola in the U.S.A. because Obama did what needed to be done THREE MONTHS PRIOR TO THE FIRST CASE.

Ebola is even more contagious than COVID-19. Had Obama not acted swiftly, millions of Americans would have died horrible, painful, deaths like something out of a horror movie (if you’ve never seen how Ebola kills, it’s horrific).

It is ironic because since President Obama acted decisively we forget about his actions since the disease never reached our shores.

Now the story of COVID-19 and Trump’s response that we know about thus far:

Before anyone even knew about the disease (even in China) Trump disbanded the pandemic response team that Obama had put in place. He cut funding to the CDC, and he cut our contribution to the World Health Organization (WHO).

Trump fired Rear Admiral Timothy Ziemer, the person on the National Security Council in charge of stopping the spread of infectious diseases before they reach our country – a position created by the Obama administration.

When the outbreak started in China, Trump assumed it was China’s problem and sent no research, supplies or help of any kind. We were in a trade war, why should he help them?

In January he received a briefing from our intelligence organizations that the outbreak was much worse than China was admitting and that it would definitely hit our country if something wasn’t done to prevent it. He ignored the report, not trusting our own intelligence.

When the disease spread to Europe, the World Health Organization offered a plethora of tests to the United States. Trump turned them down, saying private companies here would make the tests “better” if we needed them. However, he never ordered U.S. companies to make tests and they had no profit motive to do so on their own.

According to scientists at Yale and several public university medical schools, when they asked for permission to start working on our own testing protocol and potential treatments or vaccines, they were denied by Trump’s FDA.

When Trump knew about the first case in the United States he did nothing. It was just one case and the patient was isolated. When doctors and scientists started screaming in the media that this was a mistake, Trump claimed it was a “liberal hoax” conjured up to try to make him “look bad after impeachment failed.”

The next time Trump spoke of COVID-19, we had SIXTY-FOUR CONFIRMED CASES but Trump went before microphones and told the American public that we only had FIFTEEN cases “and pretty soon that number will be close to zero.” All while the disease was spreading, he took no action to get more tests.

What Trump did was to stop flights from China from coming here. This was too late and accomplished nothing according to scientists and doctors. By then the disease was worldwide and was already spreading exponentially in the U.S. by Americans, not Chinese people as Trump would like you to believe.

As of the moment, I am posting this, the evening of April 17, 2020, we have 706,309 COVID-19 CONFIRMED CASES and 37,000 COVID-19 DEATHS in the U.S.A. The actual number is undoubtedly more than triple that amount given ongoing limited availability of testing.

If you are as outraged as I am by all of this, the most important thing my friends in America can do is get out and vote in November.

p.s. The photo above was taken as Elton recorded his performance of “I’m Still Standing” for Global Citizen’s One World: Together at Home 8-hour talent livestream marathon which helped raise $127 million and pay tribute to frontline healthcare workers in the fight against coronavirus.