• TODAY Parents: Former boy-bander Lance Bass recently shared that at the beginning of his NSYNC career, he created a persona as “the shy one” in the band to hide his closeted personal life. “During big interviews, I wouldn’t speak…I became the quiet one. That’s the personality that I created so that I wasn’t expected to talk much.” Continue reading “Lance Bass On Being ‘The Shy One’ + More News”
Actor Colton Haynes (Teen Wolf, Arrow) took to social media Thursday night to share a photo he spent years trying to erase from the internet.
The image was used on the cover of the March 2006 issue of XY, a magazine aimed at young LGBTQ readers.
Haynes shares that he was a teenager and working as a model when the homoerotic photo was taken.
In his Instagram post, Haynes says for many years he was “incredibly ashamed” of the photo and worried that it would affect his career.
The 32-year-old says looking at the photo made him sad as it reminded of him of a time “before I was placed with voice & movement coaches to straighten me up for the cameras…before I learned to see my queerness as a liability.”
Haynes shares candidly he feels “jealous” of the boy he sees in the image: “so open, so free.” And he now realizes he “had to be taught that it wasn’t ok to be who he was.”
“Being gay is worth celebrating,” Haynes adds. “I wish I’d figured that out sooner, but I’m so glad I know it now. To everyone in the LGBTQIA+ community, I hope you celebrate yourselves this month & always, exactly as you are.”
The post has received over 570,000 likes on Instagram with several of Haynes’s famous friends chiming in with their support.
Actress Keke Palmer wrote, “Thank you for sharing your art. How beautiful you were then and now. I thank you for posting this and hate what you went through but so glad it’s made you a vessel to cast out the darkness with truth and light!!”
Michelle Visage (RuPaul’s Drag Race) replied “LOUD AND PROUD BABY”
Charlie Carver (Boys in the Band) sent some heart emoji love and Food Network host Jonathan Bennett responded, “This is so powerful. I feel you Buddy. Love who you were then and love who you are now.”
Fortunately, Haynes is now much more comfortable in his own skin. His Instagram feed shows he recently did a photoshoot for GQ Thailand that looks pretty Pride-ful.
• NPR: A new survey from NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist poll shows more than a third of Americans (35%) say they won’t get vaccinated when a vaccine comes available; 60% say they will. The poll also indicates former Vice President Joe Biden now leads Donald Trump 53% to 42%, up from an 8-point advantage at the end of June.
• Instinct Magazine: From the director of Call Me By Your Name, HBO announces We Are Who We Are (screen cap above), premiering September 14, a new coming-of-age story about two American teenagers who live on an American military base with their parents in Italy.
• Billings Gazette: Kanye West’s sad, inconsequential bid for the White House is being funded/directed by the Trump campaign to siphon off Black votes from Joe Biden. “You want to help Trump?” one of the organizers called out. “We’re trying to take votes away from creepy Uncle Joe.”
• KIT212: Check out Kenneth’s weekly round-up of the what’s what in local LGBTQ publications like Get Out!’s latest issue encouraging folks to ‘Flex Your Vote.’
• Variety: AMC Theatres, for one day only, will offer tickets to select movies for only 15 cents, roughly the equivalent of what it cost to watch a movie in 1920. That’s the year that the company’s founders began operations in Kansas City, Missouri. Note – the offer will be for legacy titles such as “Black Panther” and “The Empire Strikes Back.”
• Twitter: Out Teen Wolf/Arrow star Colton Haynes has put in his bid to play the super-hero Iceman in the upcoming reboot of the X-Men movie franchise after hearing rumors Shia LeBeouf was being vetted for the role. Haynes shared a gif of the mutant hero with an emoji of a young guy raising his hand. I totally see Haynes in the role.
Colton Haynes shares in a new YouTube video that he’s finally a daddy!
Ok, not that kind of ‘daddy,’ and it’s complicated…
It seems the time had finally come for Colton to bring a cat into his life: “Hey y’all…meet my son…Timothee Chalameow!”
But our hero may have had unrealistic expectations about cuddling and playing with Timothee right off the bat. Cut to Colton trying to coax his new buddy out from under the furniture.
“This is my life now, folks – trying to win the affection of a cat,” muses Colton as Timothee stares from the relative safety under the couch. “I’m so excited! I was born to be a cat dad.”
“Come here,…come cuddle with me,” pleads Colton to an aloof Timothee. “I just want your love and affection.”
Colton swears to the camera that Timothee cuddles with him, but the new cat of the house doesn’t seem as drawn to the camera as his cat dad.
Is it possible Colton had a dog in mind and got confused?
And then, there’s the inevitable ‘incident.’
“Man, this whole fairy tale of getting a cat…Whoo! Not all it’s cracked up to be,” Colton shares. Apparently, there was a knock at the door, a deliveryman and a freak out involved, although Colton does see a silver lining of sorts.
Showing off his new scar, Colton shares that Timothee did attack him, but in a ‘super chic way.’ “It looks like a sexy vampire bite, so now I have that.”
I don’t want to give away the whole story, but all in all, it’s a pretty cute diversion from the outside world.
Hit the play button below to see if/how/when Colton and Timothee ever find common ground.
Colton Haynes (The Flash, Teen Wolf) returns to YouTube for the first time in four years to offer this light-hearted, “mild entertainment” as he bravely gives himself a haircut with basically no experience to rely on.
“HEY YALL! Please enjoy this in-depth/high-quality video (lol) of me getting ready…to go nowhere…to do nothing,” writes the actor on his YouTube page. “I have no idea how to YouTube yet haha but I’m working on it! Sending all of y’all love during this unsettling time.”
He begins by showing us how he starts his day, fresh from the pillow, and sipping his morning coffeeRedbull caffeine.