Mass Subway Shooting During Rush Hour In Brooklyn

At least 16 people were injured during a subway shooting in Brooklyn Tuesday morning during rush hour.
(screen capture via Good Day New York)
New York City police are on the hunt for a gunman who opened fire instigating a mass subway shooting during rush hour Tuesday morning as it approached the 36th Street station in Brooklyn. Sixteen people were injured in the incident – ten by gunfire – with five in critical but stable condition. Continue reading “Mass Subway Shooting During Rush Hour In Brooklyn”

Brooklyn: Hate Crime Suspect Faces 15 Years In Prison

Brandon McNamara arrested in Brooklyn hate crime

Brandon McNamara, the suspect in a violent hate crime that sent two New Jersey men to the hospital with broken bones, was arraigned Friday in Brooklyn Criminal Court.

According to NBC News  McNamara was charged with “second-degree assault as a hate crime, third-degree menacing as a hate crime, second-degree aggravated harassment and other related offenses.”

The brutal attack took place on September 23 outside the popular Williamsburg gay bar, Metropolitan.

The 23-year-old is alleged to have chased two gay men while cursing them using anti-gay slurs.

NYPD Sergeant Jessica McRorie told NBC News that he “punched the [30-year-old] in the face which caused him to lose consciousness.”

“He then grabbed the 29-year-old and threw him against a tree; also rendering him unconscious.”

“This defendant allegedly assaulted an innocent couple simply because he perceived they were gay,” said District Attorney Eric Gonzalez to the press. “Crimes that target individuals because of their sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, religion, gender, or other identity are a threat to everything we stand for in Brooklyn.”

McNamara eventually turned himself in after police circulated a photo taken by a bystander.

He is scheduled to return to court January 16.

If convicted, he faces 15 years in prison.

Diocese Of Brooklyn To Pay $27.5 Million To 4 Men In Sex Abuse Settlement

The New York Times reports that the Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn will pay out $27.5 million to four men who were sexually abused as children by a religion teacher. Each of the men will receive $6.8 million according to the settlement.
(image via Wikimedia)

The New York Times reports that the Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn will pay out $27.5 million to four men who were sexually abused as children by a religion teacher.

According to the settlement, each of the men will receive $6.8 million.

That amount ranks as one of the highest figures paid to survivors of sexual abuse in the Catholic Church.

According to New York Law Journal, Angelo Serrano, a volunteer and director of religious studies at St. Lucy-St. Patrick’s, allegedly abused the plaintiffs between 2003 and 2009 when they were between the ages of 8 and 12 years old.

Serrano pleaded guilty in 2011 and is currently serving a 15 year prison sentence.

This comes in the aftermath of a stunning grand jury report in Pennsylvania which found more than 1,000 children had been the targets of sexual misconduct by hundreds of priests over decades.

Sparked in part by that grand jury report, the New York State attorney general announced two weeks ago a statewide civil investigation into sex abuse allegations within the Catholic Church and its possible cover-up by church leaders. The New York AG has reportedly issued subpoenas to every Catholic diocese in the state.

Brooklyn: Three Arrested in Connection to Anti-Gay Shooting

NYC Police have arrested three in connection to what is being called an anti-gay shooting in Brooklyn that took place Saturday morning.

From NBC New York:

According to police, the victim was dressed as a woman and walking down the street with two other men in Bushwick Saturday morning, when the three suspects approached them and began making anti-gay comments.

A dispute ensued and one of the men shot the victim in the buttocks.

Tavon Johnson, 17, and Cody Sigue, 22 were charged with third degree menacing as a hate crime. Matthew Smith, 21, was charged with first degree assault and was also charged in a separate shooting Friday night.