Some news items you might have missed:
• Instinct Magazine: Moderna is using the same mRNA platform as its COVID-19 vaccine to create and test two possible HIV vaccines. Both vaccines have cleared initial safety testing and are moving on to human trials.
• CNN: LGBTQ groups across the US are considering a new Pride flag meant to be more inclusive of the transgender community and people of color. Hit the link for a history of the Pride flag and where we are today.
LGBTQ groups across the US are considering a new flag that's meant to be more inclusive of the transgender community and people of color https://t.co/j4fIHQKkQc
— CNN (@CNN) August 16, 2021
• Politico: GOP operatives, former Trump administration officials, and conservative leaders say there is a widespread acceptance that marriage equality is settled law and there are no serious discussions about reversing the SCOTUS ruling that established national recognition of same-sex marriages.
• NBC Out: Thousands showed up for an LGBTQ pride march in Romania’s Bucharest this weekend for the first time since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic. Click through some pics from the event below.
• Religion News Service: Cardinal Raymond L. Burke, an outspoken skeptic of COVID-19 vaccines, has been placed on a ventilator after testing positive for the virus. Burke has repeated suggestions that COVID-19 vaccines inject “a kind of microchip” that allow citizens to “be controlled by the state regarding health and about other matters which we can only imagine.”
• Newsweek: The Republican National Committee has removed a webpage from 2020 in which it praised Donald Trump for signing a “historic peace agreement with the Taliban.” Newsweek notes that Abdul Ghani Baradar, the Taliban’s current political chief, was released from a Pakistani jail at the request of the US while Trump was in office.
How quickly can the politics around Afghanistan change? Here's a section on the RNC's website in June; click it now and you get a 404 error. (Rest of page was about Kosovo/Israel-Arab deals.) https://t.co/kDJo95QfiF pic.twitter.com/HkZok9mgJW
— Dave Weigel (@daveweigel) August 15, 2021