Some news items you might have missed:
• The Advocate: Greg Breidenbach, a gay man in Florida, was left with multiple injuries and mounting medical expenses after he was brutally beaten by two men yelling antigay slurs earlier this month. Friends have launched a GoFundMe campaign to help defray medical costs.
• LGBTQ Nation: Rep. George Santos (R-NY) received just four donations from residents of his congressional district this year. Santos is currently facing 13 criminal charges including wire fraud and money laundering.
• NBC News: Christopher Alberts, a Jan. 6 rioter who was armed with a concealed weapon as he charged at police on the steps of the Capitol was sentenced to 7 years in federal prison on Wednesday.
BREAKING: Jan. 6 rioter who charged police while carrying a concealed handgun sentenced to seven years https://t.co/EOulAtGxGT
— Ryan J. Reilly (@ryanjreilly) July 19, 2023
• Axios: New government data shows illegal border crossings plummeted to the lowest levels in over two years.
• ABC News: Swiss watchmaker Swatch is suing the government of Malaysia for seizing 172 ‘Pride’ watches that celebrate LGBTQ rights.
• Washington Post: Sen. Tommy Tuberville (R-AL) told voters in a 2020 campaign video, “I stand with our veterans and I’m going to donate every dime I make when I’m in Washington, D.C., to the veterans of the state of Alabama.” But there’s no evidence he’s kept that promise.
Analysis: The Alabama senator touts his interest in veterans affairs but has not fulfilled a key campaign pledge. https://t.co/MxaKZSBCVu
— The Washington Post (@washingtonpost) July 19, 2023