Donald Trump Accepts North Korea’s Invitation To Discuss Denuclearization

Breaking news: In a stunning announcement, South Korea’s national security adviser just announced that President Trump has accepted Kim Jung Un’s invitation to meet by May and discuss denuclearization.

Back in October of 2017, Trump tweeted he thought negotiating with North Korea was a waste of time:

Twitter War: Trump Informs North Korea His Nuclear Button Is “Much Bigger” Than Theirs

Donald Trump

NBC News reports:

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un used his New Year’s Day address to warn the U.S. not to test him while striking a softer tone with South Korea, including the possibility of sending a delegation to next month’s Winter Olympics.

“The entire United States is within range of our nuclear weapons, a nuclear button is always on my desk. This is reality, not a threat,” Kim said in the annual address. “This year, we should focus on mass-producing nuclear warheads and ballistic missiles for operational deployment. These weapons will be used only if our society is threatened.”

So, of course, Donald Trump had to whip out his Twitter account and slap back tweeting:

North Korean Leader Kim Jong Un just stated that the “Nuclear Button is on his desk at all times.” Will someone from his depleted and food starved regime please inform him that I too have a Nuclear Button, but it is a much bigger & more powerful one than his, and my Button works!

And the crowd goes wild:

North Korea Calls Trump “Old Lunatic,” “Depraved,” And “Stupid;” Trump Retaliates By Placing NK On List Of State Sponsors Of Terrorism

On Sunday, North Korea’s state-run Minju Joson newspaper issued a scathing commentary on Donald Trump saying, in part, “A load of rubbish spouted by the old lunatic Trump during his recent visit to South Korea was a total of all nonsense and paradox so far.”

The editorial went on to state that the U.S. would regret “letting such a depraved and stupid guy occupy the Oval Office.”

In retaliation, Donald Trump announced today he has placed North Korea back on the list of state sponsors of terrorism.

From CNN:

Trump announced the move Monday during a public meeting with his Cabinet at the White House and said the Treasury Department will announce new sanctions against North Korea on Tuesday.

“Today the United States is designating the North Korea as a state sponsor of terrorism. Should have happened a long time ago. Should have happened years ago,” Trump said.

North Korea was removed from the list by President George W. Bush in 2008.

Trump said that North Korea has “repeatedly” sponsored acts of terrorism, including “assassinations on foreign soil.”

“This designation will impose further sanctions and penalties on North Korea … and supports our maximum pressure campaign to isolate the murderous regime,” Trump said.

Trump To Tillerson: Don’t Waste Your Time With North Korea

A day after Secretary of State Rex Tillerson told reporters the United States currently has direct lines of communication with North Korea attempting to negotiate regarding the country’s missile programs, Donald Trump tweeted that the effort was a waste of time.

“I told Rex Tillerson, our wonderful Secretary of State, that he is wasting his time trying to negotiate with Little Rocket Man. Save your energy Rex, we’ll do what has to be done.”

Has anyone told Trump these kinds of negotiations are exactly what a secretary of state does?

I’ve never seen a president undercut his own secretary of state in such a public manner.

North Korea Accuses Donald Trump Of Declaring War

The Foreign Minister of North Korea, Ri Yong Ho, accused Donald Trump of “declaring war” on his country referencing Trump’s tweet over the weekend that North Korea “won’t be around much longer.”

From CNN:

“Last weekend Trump claimed that our leadership wouldn’t be around much longer and declared a war on our country,” Ri said, according to an official translation of his remarks to reporters in New York.

“Since the United States declared war on our country, we will have every right to make all self-defensive counter measures, including the right to shoot down the United States strategic bombers at any time even when they are not yet inside the aerospace border of our country,” Ri said.

A White House spokesman said Monday the Trump administration had no reaction to the comments.

The ongoing war of words between the two nations saw several new fiery salvos on Saturday, a day on which the US military, in a show of force, flew bombers in international airspace over waters east of North Korea.

Speaking at the UN on Saturday, Ri said that Trump had made a missile attack on the US mainland inevitable by insulting the dignity of North Korea.

“None other than Trump himself is on a suicide mission,” Ri said in a speech at the UN General Assembly. “In case innocent lives of the US are harmed because of this suicide attack, Trump will be held totally responsible.”

Donald Trump To United Nations: “We Will Totally Destroy North Korea”

During his first address to the United Nations General Assembly this morning, Donald Trump warned Kim Jong Un of North Korea (who Trump has now nicknamed “Rocket Man”) that the United States will “totally destroy North Korea” should the rogue nation continues to threaten the U.S.

From the Washington Post:

The president warned of growing threats from North Korea and Iran, and he said, “The scourge of our planet is a group of rogue regimes.”

He praised the U.N. for enacting economic sanctions on Pyongyang over its nuclear and ballistic missile tests. But he emphasized that if Kim Jong Un’s regime continued to threaten the United States and to destabilize East Asia, his administration would be prepared to defend the country and its allies.

“We will have no choice but to totally destroy North Korea,” Trump said, before calling Kim by a nickname he gave the dictator on Twitter over the weekend. “Rocket Man is on a suicide mission for himself.”

Please note that this is the president of the United States using a childish nickname to discuss avoiding a nuclear war with world leaders.

Trump also called the UN-backed Iran nuclear deal “one of the worst and most one-sided transactions the United States has ever entered into.”

North Korea Tests Nuclear Device 7x The Size Of Hiroshima Bomb

From the Washington Post:

North Korea sharply raised the stakes Sunday in its standoff with the rest of the world, detonating a powerful nuclear device that it claimed was a hydrogen bomb that could be attached to a missile capable of reaching the mainland United States.

Even if Kim Jong Un’s regime is exaggerating its feats, scientific evidence showed that North Korea had crossed an important threshold and had detonated a nuclear device that was vastly more powerful than its last — and almost seven times the size of the bomb that destroyed Hiroshima.

The nuclear test took place at exactly noon local time at North Korea’s Punggye-ri testing site and was recorded as a 6.3-magnitude earthquake, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. It was followed eight minutes later by a 4.1-magnitude earthquake that appeared to be a tunnel collapsing at the site.

South Korean officials and independent nuclear scientists estimated the yield — the amount of energy released by the weapon — to be 100 kilotons. That would make it almost seven times as strong as the U.S. atomic bomb that destroyed the Japanese city of Hiroshima in 1945.

After North Korea’s testing of an intercontinental ballistic missile in July, Trump said in a statement that the country would face “fire and fury” if North Korea continued testing its weapons. He later added via Twitter that the U.S. military was “locked and loaded.’

In response to this recent testing, Trump took a swipe at our ally, South Korea, for its “appeasement” of North Korea and also at China saying the situation has become a “great embarrassment” to the country.

U.S. Conducts Bombing Drills With South Korea Over Korean Peninsula

(U.S. Pacific Command/South Korean government)

This will drive North Korea’s resident idiot President Kim Jong Un insane.

Via U.S. Pacific Command:

In a demonstration of ironclad U.S. commitment to our allies, U.S. Marine Corps’ F-35B Lightning II fighters assigned to the Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Japan are joined by Republic of Korea Air Force F-15K fighters during a 10-hour mission from Andersen Air Force Base, into Japanese airspace and over the Korean Peninsula, August 30th.

This mission was conducted in direct response to North Korea’s intermediate-range ballistic missile launch, which flew directly over northern Japan on August 28 amid rising tension over North Korea’s nuclear and ballistic missile development programs.

(Alex Fox Echols III/U.S. Air Force)

U.S. Successfully Tests Missile Interceptor In Pacific

I’ve wondered what or how the U.S. would technically respond if North Korea were to actually launch a ballistic missile attack on us.

I assumed there would be an intercept of some kind, but wasn’t sure what it would be. Fighter jets? Missiles?

The Diplomat has the details:

Days after North Korea launched an intermediate-range ballistic missile that flew over Japan’s northern island of Hokkaido and landed in the northern Pacific Ocean, the U.S. Navy successfully conducted a complex missile defense test this week at the Pacific Missile Range Facility off Kauai, Hawaii, according to a Raytheon company statement.

The Standard Missile-6, one of the U.S. Navy’s most advanced missile interceptors, intercepted a medium-range ballistic missile target at sea in its final seconds of flight, after being fired from the Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyer USS John Paul Jones. The principal objective of the launch was test to a new targeting software designed to enable the SM-6 to intercept a ballistic missile warhead descending from the upper atmosphere at extreme speed.

The endo-atmospheric interceptor uses a blast-fragmentation warhead to engage its target.

Watch CBS News’ report below:

(h/t JoeMyGod)

Trump Congratulates Governor Of Guam On Becoming Famous Via North Korea Threat

The New York Post reports that President Trump called the governor of Guam on Friday to reassure him that as an American territory, the U.S. is at the ready to protect the residents of the island paradise.

Trump, who is personally obsessed with fame, made a point to tell the governor that he’s world famous now thanks to the attentions of North Korea.

Trump opened the conversation by telling Calvo, “Good morning, good morning. Great to speak with you. Good morning. I just wanted to pay my respects and we are with you 1,000. You are safe. We’re with you 1,000 percent. I just wanted to call and say hello.”

Trump later says, “We’re going to do a great job for you. All over the world they’re talking about Guam. Tourism is going to go up ten fold. It looks beautiful.” Calvo agrees. “It’s paradise.” And he told the former hotel magnate, “We have 95 percent occupancy and after all of this stuff calms down we’re going to have 110 percent occupancy.”