North Carolina Pastor: God Has Sent Ebola Because Same-Sex Marriage

Pastor Ron Baity has long railed against marriage equality.

After leading many anti-gay marriage rallies and being honored by the American Family Association with their 2012 “Watchman Award,” Mr. Baity is now spewing fire and brimstone about the “super-ebola” plague (or something) that will come to America because “gay.”

(via Good As You)

North Carolina: City of Winston-Salem to recognize out-of-state same-sex marriages

In light of the recent ruling by the 4th Circuit Court of Appeal that overturned Virginia’s ban on marriage equality AND the decision by North Carolina’s Attorney General to no longer defend that state’s same-sex marriage ban (North Carolina is also in the jurisdiction of the 4th Circuit Court),  Winston-Salem has announced the city will recognize any valid marriage license from any state or US jurisdiction in regard to city employee benefits.

“This means that if you are currently married to someone of the same sex, and have a valid marriage license from any state or U.S. jurisdiction, you can enroll your same sex spouse and children in all city benefits …” Human Resources Director Caruth told city employees in the letter.

While several cities offer domestic partnership benefits (Winston-Salem does not), I believe this is the first time that a city in the state has taken steps to recognize legal same-sex marriages on it’s own accord.

There is a special enrollment period currently under way for same-sex couples to sign up through the end of October.

(source)

North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper announces the state will not oppose same-sex marriage cases

North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper

In light of the Fourth Circuit Court’s ruling which found Virginia’s marriage ban is unconstitutional, North Carolina’s attorney general said he will stop defending his state’s ban in court:

“After reviewing the 4th Circuit decision and consulting with attorneys here, I have concluded that the State of North Carolina will not oppose the cases moving forward.

“In addition, the State of North Carolina will acknowledge the 4th Circuit opinion that marriage is a fundamental right and that our office believes that the judges are bound by this 4th Circuit decision.

“In all these cases challenging state marriage laws, our office along with other attorneys general and state attorneys across the country have made about every legal argument imaginable.

“Since the US Supreme Court ruled in the Windsor case, all the federal courts have rejected these arguments each and every time. So it’s time for the State of North Carolina to stop making them.” – North Carolina State Attorney General, Roy Cooper

Today’s Virginia ruling sets precedent for not only that state, but all states in the court’s jurisdiction which includes North Carolina.

South Carolina’s AG, Alan Wilson, issued a statement saying he intends to continue defending his state’s same-sex marriage ban.

(via Advocate.com)

North Carolina: Clay Aiken will be Democratic candidate for 2nd Congressional District this fall

Clay Aiken

It looks as though former American Idol runner up Clay Aiken will be the Democratic candidate for North Carolina’s 2nd House District this fall.

Via USA Today:

The final vote tally by the North Carolina State Board of Elections shows the American Idol runner-up with 11,678 votes to 11,288 for former state Commerce secretary Keith Crisco, who died Monday.

That’s a slight increase for Aiken from last week’s primary, but more important: The 1.37% margin of difference between the candidates would mean no recount in the nail-biter of a race.

Aiken has suspended campaign activities out of respect for Crisco and his family.

It’s a steep climb ahead for Aiken though. His opponent GOP Rep. Renee Ellmers, won reelection in 2012 with 58% of the vote in the very conservative district.

North Carolina: Clay Aiken’s Democratic primary opponent dies at 71

Former North Carolina Secretary of Commerce Keith Crisco died at the age of 71 today following a fall at his home.

Crisco was Clay Aiken’s opponent in last week’s Democratic primary for the U.S House.

From the Huffington Post:

The Asheboro Courier-Tribune reported that Crisco, 71, apparently suffered injuries from a fall Monday afternoon at his home in Asheboro, N.C. He was dead when emergency services arrived, according to the paper.

The race between Aiken and Crisco was considered too close to call, with Aiken leading Crisco by just 369 votes. Both candidates were awaiting confirmation from election authorities before deciding how to proceed in the race to unseat Rep. Renee Ellmers (R-N.C.) in November.

Clay Aiken issued this statement:

“We are incredibly shocked and saddened to hear about Keith Crisco’s sudden passing. Keith was an accomplished businessman and public servant with a sterling reputation and a tremendous amount of respect from North Carolinians across the partisan spectrum. Keith, like my father, served the state as Commerce Secretary with dignity and humility, and also like my father, passed away well before his time. Keith’s family is in our thoughts and prayers during this very difficult time. I am suspending all campaign activities as we pray for his family and friends.”

The election results are still in flux with Aiken ahead by 369 votes. The state law says to not face a runoff, the candidate who leads with at least 40% +1 vote wins the primary. If Crisco should pull ahead as the votes are still being counted, the state Democratic party would choose the candidate.

North Carolina: Clay Aiken looks to have won Dem primary for Congress

American Idol runner-up Clay Aiken looks to have won his primary tonight in North Carolina.

Although the race is tight, North Carolina state law requires a 40% + one vote finish in order to avoid a runoff.

No media outlet has declared a winner at this point, but if the count holds, Aiken appears to have cleared the bar for this race.

Keith Crisco outspent Aiken through his own wealth by a ratio of 3 to 1.

United Church of Christ challenges North Carolina’s ban on marriage equality for denying religious freedoms

Here’s a great approach to the marriage equality fight.

The United Church of Christ, twelve clergy members and several gay couples are challenging North Carolina’s ban on same-sex marriage on the grounds that it violates their religious freedoms:

From the Washington Blade:

The lawsuit — which was filed in U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina — argues the marriage amendment violates the religious beliefs of denominations and congregants who support the recognition of gay nuptials and clergy who want to perform them. Rev. Geoffrey A. Black, president of the United Church of Christ, and Rev. Nancy Kraft of Holy Trinity Lutheran Church in Charlotte are among the plaintiffs who attended a Charlotte press conference.

“As a senior minister, I am often asked to perform marriage ceremonies for same-sex couples in my congregation,” said Rev. Joe Hoffman (pictured) of First Congregational United Church of Christ in Asheville, who is a plaintiff along with Diane Ansley and Cathy McGaughey, two of his congregants who have been together for 14 years. “My denomination — the United Church of Christ — authorizes me to perform these ceremonies, but Amendment One denies my religious freedom by prohibiting me from exercising this right.”

Bolding is mine.

Get ready for the haters’ head to explode in 3, 2, 1…

ACLU files lawsuit in North Carolina seeking recognition of out-of-state same-sex marriages

Via ACLU press release:

The American Civil Liberties Union, the ACLU of North Carolina Legal Foundation and the law firms of Sullivan & Cromwell LLP and Ellis & Winters LLP have filed a new case in federal court on behalf of three married, same-sex couples seeking state recognition of their marriages. Because of the serious medical condition of one member of each couple, they are asking the court to take swift action.

The ACLU has also sought immediate relief on behalf of one of the couples in the existing Fisher-Borne et al. v. Smith case who have a young child who is being denied critical medical care because North Carolina neither recognizes his mothers’ marriage nor allows both mothers to adopt their child and establish a legal relationship.

North Carolina’s ban on marriage for same-sex couples prevents the plaintiff couples from securing hundreds of protections provided in both state and federal law to married couples. If one member of the couple were to die before the state recognizes their marriage, the surviving spouse will be forever denied not only these protections but the dignity that respect from the state affords, such as having one’s relationship acknowledged forever on a death certificate.

North Carolina: Bullied nine year old can bring his “My Little Pony” backpack to school

Nine year old Grayson Bruce, a student in Asheville, NC was taunted by his classmates for wearing a “My Little Pony” backpack.

When his mother addressed the situation, the school told her Grayson couldn’t wear the backpack because it is a “trigger for bullying,” basically putting the blame on Grayson for the bullying.

The story has gone viral over the past several days, attracting the attention of national news outlets and more than 70,000 Facebook supporters rallying behind the #SupportforGrayson hashtag.

Now, the school has reconsidered after meeting with Grayson’s mother on Thursday.

The Buncombe County School District released a statement Thursday in response saying:

“We have appreciated the opportunity to meet with the Bruce family and discuss the issues. We sincerely regret that the issue of being told to leave the book bag at home was perceived as blaming Grayson. While that was not the intent, the perception became reality. We support Grayson bringing the book bag to school.

“We discussed a number of options to consider in moving forward for Grayson. All of the options discussed included a safety transition plan and an allowance for Grayson to bring the book bag to school.

“Every situation with young children is a teachable moment and we will use this example in our efforts to address a wider issue of bullying. The Bruce family has committed to working with us to improve and enhance our anti-bullying programs.

North Carolina GOP chair Don Yelton resigns after racist comments in Daily Show interview

North Carolina county precinct GOP chair Don Yelton has resigned from his post as a direct result of an interview that ran last night on The Daily Show.
“Yes, he has resigned,” said Nathan West, a spokesman for the Buncombe County Republican Party. According to Business Insider, West said that the party asked for Yelton’s resignation in “direct response to the interview.”
In the interview, Yelton insisted that the voter-ID law is “not racist” before admitting that he has been called a “bigot” in the past. He defended a picture of President Obama “sitting on a stump as a witch doctor” as making fun of the “white half” of the president. And, he said if the law “hurts a bunch of lazy blacks who just want the government to give them everything, so be it.”
When Yelton started throwing around the “n-word” and complaining that only black people are allowed to use it, The Daily Show’s Aasif Mandvi stopped him to ask, “You know that we can hear you, right?”
Ladies and gentlemen, your Republican party unfiltered.
(via Mediaite)