Texas: Mass Shooting At High School Outside Houston Leaves At Least 8 Dead

A mass shooting at a high school outside Houston, Texas, has left at least 8 people dead and a suspect, 17-year-old Dimitrios Pagourtzis, in custody.

From The New York Times:

Here’s what we know:

• The Santa Fe Independent School District said in a tweet that “explosive devices” had been found both on the campus and in surrounding areas.

• The school district said the situation at the school, in Santa Fe, Tex., began at about 7:45 a.m. Friday, just after the start of the school day.

• Sheriff Ed Gonzalez of Harris County said it appeared that “eight to 10” people had been killed, most of them students. None of the victims were immediately identified.

The Parkland high school students, who know a thing or two about mass shootings at schools, tweeted their support and predicted what’s to come from this new gun massacre.

Emma Gonzalez rightfully points out that “thoughts and prayers” won’t be enough; David Hogg warned of politicians who “act like they give a shit” when they’re just looking out for approval numbers; and Cameron Kasky warns that students who rise up with be called “crisis actors.”

Naked Nashville Waffle House Gunman Taken Into Custody

Travis Reinking

UPDATE: Nashville Police say they have arrested shooting suspect Travis Reinking in a wooded area near the apartment complex where he lived.

According to reports, he was wearing a backpack with a loaded handgun and ammunition when he was taken into custody.

**************************

A shooting at a Nashville Waffle House has left four people dead as the naked gun man remains at large.

From The New York Times:

The shooting happened around 3:25 a.m. at a Waffle House in the Antioch neighborhood of Nashville. A patron wrestled away the gunman’s rifle, the Metropolitan Nashville Police Department said on Twitter.

Three people died at the scene and one person was declared dead at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, the police said.

Jennifer Wetzel, a spokeswoman for the medical center, said one wounded victim was in critical condition and the other was in critical but stable condition.

Two other victims were treated for minor injuries and discharged from TriStar Southern Hills Medical Center in Nashville, said Katie Radel, a spokeswoman there.

The police said they had identified a vehicle registered to a 29-year-old Illinois man they described as a person of interest and said he was later seen wearing black pants and no shirt.

Twenty-nine year-old Travis Reinking of Illinois is being sought as a person of interest in the shooting.

Dozens Injured As Active Shooter Attacks YouTube Headquarters

According to Newsweek, The San Bruno Police Department scanner said 37 people were transported to nearby hospitals after an active shooter situation was reported at YouTube’s headquarters in California.

Developing story…

More from MSNBC and Fox News:

Family That Took In Florida Shooter Speaks To GMA

Kimberly and James Snead of Coral Springs, Florida, took in Nikolas Cruz,  the 19-year-old who killed 17 people at a Florida high school last week, after his adoptive mother passed away in November.

The Sneads told Good Morning America this morning in their first interview since the shooting tragedy they saw no signs of possible violence from Cruz.

Via HuffPost:

“I still can’t process it because this isn’t the person we knew,” Kimberly Snead continued. “Not at all.”

“Everything everybody seems to know, we didn’t know,” James Snead said on “Good Morning America.” “We had rules and he followed every rule to the T. … He was very polite. He seemed normal.”

“As far as the animal killings, he never did anything like that at our house,” he said. “We have animals and he loved our animals. Our animals loved him.”

Cruz was charged Thursday with 17 counts of premeditated murder. He is being held without bail. Kimberly Snead described being overcome with emotion when she first saw Cruz at the police station after the shooting.

“I really wanted to strangle him more than anything,” she said. “I tried to reserve myself. I said, ‘Really, Nik? Really?’ I yelled at him. He mumbled something, but I didn’t hear him. He said he was sorry. … I was just furious and heartbroken.”

“I can’t imagine the pain [the victims’ families] must be feeling,” she said. “Nothing that we can say is going to be any kind of help. We’re very sorry that they had this experience and it never should have happened.”

Watch the interview below.

Former FBI Agent Has Had Enough Of The Mass School Shootings

Just when you think we might grow immune to these mass shootings (like the GOP has), today we saw a tough, experienced former FBI agent break down in tears over today’s shooting in Florida.

Philip Mudd is about as tough as you can get. He’s interviewed terrorists without blinking.

“I have ten nieces and nephews,” Mudd said. “We’re talking about bump stocks, we’re talking about legislation. A child of god is dead. Can we not acknowledge in this country that we cannot accept this?”

“I can’t do it, Wolf,” he told CNN’s Wolff Blitzer. “I’m sorry, I can’t do it.” Blitzer mercifully moved on to another analyst.

I’ve never seen him get emotional in any way when explaining the whys and wherefores of terrorist events.

This is rough. America has had enough.

Thanks for the prayers and condolences, but can our lawmakers do SOMETHING?

(h/t JoeMyGod)

Florida: Numerous Fatalities Reported At Broward County High School

From The New York Times:

Numerous fatalities were reported in a shooting on Wednesday afternoon at a high school about an hour northwest of Miami.

The authorities said there were 14 victims, but did not say if they were injured or dead. The Broward County Public Schools confirmed fatalities, but would not say how many. Television images showed students running away from the school, Marjory Stoneman Douglas High, and law enforcement officers around the building.

The Broward County sheriff’s office wrote on Twitter that the suspect is now in custody and the scene is still active.

“The shooter was not a current student,” Sheriff Scott Israel said on Twitter.

Senator Bill Nelson told MSNBC there were multiple fatalities. Two hospitals, Broward Health North in Pompano Beach and Broward Medical Center in Fort Lauderdale, received multiple patients, according to Jennifer Smith, a spokeswoman for the hospitals.

“There are numerous fatalities. It is a horrific situation,” Robert W. Runcie, the Broward schools superintendent, told CNN. “It is a horrible day for us.”

Donald Trump and the Republicans have refused to take any consequential measures or enact any meaningful legislation in an effort to regulate guns, bullets, or accessories like “bump stocks” used in the nation’s deadliest mass shooting last year in Las Vegas.

This is the 19th school shooting this year.

The good news is Donald Trump just tweeted his “prayers and condolences” so everything should be just hunky dory. That’ll fix everything, right?