Sec. of State Hillary Clinton on Libya embassy security: “I take responsibility”

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton issued a statement taking responsibility for possible inadequate security and the subsequent attack on the U.S. Embassy in Libya in September,

From CNN:

“I take responsibility,” Clinton said during a visit to Peru. “I’m in charge of the State Department’s 60,000-plus people all over the world, 275 posts. The president and the vice president wouldn’t be knowledgeable about specific decisions that are made by security professionals. They’re the ones who weigh all of the threats and the risks and the needs and make a considered decision.”

But she said an investigation now under way will ultimately determine what happened at the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, where Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans were killed on September 11.

“I take this very personally,” Clinton said. “So we’re going to get to the bottom of it, and then we’re going to do everything we can to work to prevent it from happening again, and then we’re going to work to bring whoever did this to us to justice.”

NPR: Four arrested in connection with attack on Libyan consulate

NPR’s Dina Temple-Raston says Libyan officials have informed the U.S. that four people are in custody in connection with the attack on the American consulate in Benghazi that killed Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other embassy staffers on Tuesday.

But U.S. officials have yet to interview the detainees, described as “militants” or to verify their involvement in the attack.

Temple-Ralston says it is also unclear whether those arrested are Libyans or foreigners.

Hillary Clinton’s statement on attacks in Libya

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton gave a statement this morning about the ugly attacks in Libya which took the lives of Ambassador Chris Stevens and three aides.

“How could this happen in a country we helped liberate? In a city we helped save from destruction? This question reflects just how complicated and at times how confounding the world can be, but we must be clear-eyed even in our grief. This was an attack by a small and savage group, not the people or government of Libya.”

Muammar Gaddafi killed in Sirte

Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi, the most wanted man in the world, has been killed, the country’s rebel government claimed today.

The flamboyant tyrant who terrorized his country and much of the world during his 42 years of despotic rule was cornered by insurgents in the town of Sirte, where Gadhafi had been born and a stronghold of his supporters.

More on Yahoo News