Sen. Bernie Sanders Denounces Shooting Attack On Congress Members

Sen. Bernie Sanders

According to reports, the alleged shooter in this morning’s attack on a Congressional baseball practice, that left five injured including Republican Congressman Steve Scalise, was apparently a volunteer for Sen. Bernie Sanders’ campaign last year.

Sen. Sanders immediately issued a statement denouncing the violence.

Via press release:

“I have just been informed that the alleged shooter at the Republican baseball practice is someone who apparently volunteered on my presidential campaign.

“I am sickened by this despicable act. Let me be as clear as I can be. Violence of any kind is unacceptable in our society and I condemn this action in the strongest possible terms.

“Real change can only come about through nonviolent action, and anything else runs against our most deeply held American values.

“My hopes and prayers are that Representative Scalise, congressional staff and the Capitol Police Officers who were wounded make a quick and full recovery. I also want to thank the Capitol Police for their heroic actions to prevent further harm.”

Bernie Sanders Not Ruling Out 2020 Run For President

Sen. Bernie Sanders told the Associated Press today that he is not ruling out a possible second run for the White House in 2020.

“Four years is a long time from now,” said the 75-year-old Vermont senator, noting that he faces re-election to the Senate in 2018. But he added: “We’ll take one thing at a time, but I’m not ruling out anything.”

Sanders gave voice to the frustration among many liberals in the aftermath of Trump’s stunning triumph over Hillary Clinton. He told The Associated Press in a phone interview that millions of working-class voters’ decision to back Trump was “an embarrassment” to the party and that Democrats must take a strong stand against the role of corporate interests in politics.

“It is an embarrassment, I think, to the entire of Democratic Party that millions of white working-class people decided to vote for Mr. Trump, which suggests that the Democratic message of standing up for working people no longer holds much sway among workers in this country,” Sanders said.

The Vermont senator declined to criticize his primary rival, Hillary Clinton, attributing Tuesday’s election loss to a “lack of enthusiasm” among Democrats. “People just did not come out to vote,” he said.

The AP goes on to note that Sanders will support Rep. Keith Ellison of Minnesota to become the next chairman of the Democratic National Committee. Ellison is the only Muslim member of Congress.

Sen. Bernie Sanders: “Donald Trump Would Be A Disaster And An Embarrassment”

Sen. Bernie Sanders pens this op-ed for the LA Times wherein he implores his supporters to vote for Hillary Clinton and make sure Donald Trump gets nowhere near the presidency.

The conventions are over and the general election has officially begun. In the primaries, I received 1,846 pledged delegates, 46% of the total. Hillary Clinton received 2,205 pledged delegates, 54%. She received 602 superdelegates. I received 48 superdelegates. Hillary Clinton is the Democratic nominee and I will vigorously support her.

Donald Trump would be a disaster and an embarrassment for our country if he were elected president. His campaign is not based on anything of substance — improving the economy, our education system, healthcare or the environment. It is based on bigotry.

[snip]

I understand that many of my supporters are disappointed by the final results of the nominating process, but being despondent and inactive is not going to improve anything. Going forward and continuing the struggle is what matters. And, in that struggle, the most immediate task we face is to defeat Donald Trump.

Talks Underway For Bernie Sanders To Formally Nominate Hillary Clinton At #DNCinPHL

I heard from two sources now that say talks are underway for Bernie Sanders to call for the Democratic National Convention to accept Hillary Clinton as presidential candidate “by acclamation.”

A somewhat ceremonial move, but a step towards party unity.

Bernie Sanders Texts Supporters To “Not Engage In Any Kind Of Protest On The Floor” Of DNC

Bernie Sanders has texted his supporters asking them to not protest from the floor of the Democratic National Committee:

“I ask you as a personal courtesy to me to not engage in any kind of protest on the floor. It’s of utmost importance that you explain this to your delegations.”

Donald Trump Tweets Bernie Sanders Is “Weak And Somewhat Pathetic”

Republican presidential candidate took to Twitter today to criticize Sen. Bernie Sanders saying he is “turning out to be a weak and somewhat pathetic figure.”

I’d remind you all that Trump has repeatedly begged Sanders’ supporters to vote for him.

Good luck with that, Donald.