What We Know About The Attack In Nice, France

What we know so far about the deadly attack in Nice, France, last night:

• Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel, a 31-year-old French Tunisian, drove a truck 1.1 miles zigzagging through a crowd enjoying Bastille Day fireworks in Nice, France.

• While Bouhlel was known to intelligence services, he was not on any watch list.

• Police were eventually able to shoot Bouhlel dead to stop the horrific massacre.

• At this writing there are at least 84 dead, and hundreds injured.

• The truck Bouhlel drove was loaded with arms and grenades. Some were reported to be fake upon inspection.

• France will observe three days of mourning beginning Saturday.

• No terrorist group has come forward yet to claim responsibility for the incident.

• The investigation has been handed over to counter-terrorism experts.

President Barack Obama issued this statement via White House press release:

On behalf of the American people, I condemn in the strongest terms what appears to be a horrific terrorist attack in Nice, France, which killed and wounded dozens of innocent civilians. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and other loved ones of those killed, and we wish a full recovery for the many wounded.

I have directed my team to be in touch with French officials, and we have offered any assistance that they may need to investigate this attack and bring those responsible to justice. We stand in solidarity and partnership with France, our oldest ally, as they respond to and recover from this attack.

On this Bastille Day, we are reminded of the extraordinary resilience and democratic values that have made France an inspiration to the entire world, and we know that the character of the French Republic will endure long after this devastating and tragic loss of life.

Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump, the two major party presidential candidates, tweeted these statements:

Six Stabbed At Jerusalem Gay Pride Parade

Stabbing victims at Jerusalem Pride parade

According to the Jerusalem Post, an ultra-Orthodox man has been arrested for stabbing six people taking part in the Jerusalem gay pride parade today.

The suspect in Thursday’s stabbing attack, Yishai Shlissel, is the same man who perpetrated a similar stabbing attack at the 2005 Jerusalem gay pride parade. He was recently released from prison after having been convicted of stabbing three people during the parade ten years ago.

Six people were wounded in the incident that took place on the corners of Sokolov and Keren Hayesod streets in the capital.

Paramedics were treating two people in serious condition, one in moderate condition and three people who were lightly injured. All of the victims were in their thirties, according to MDA.

Thousands of people were taking part in the annual pride parade in the capital when the attack occurred.

“I saw an ultra-Orthodox youth stabbing everyone in his way,” said Shai Aviyor, a witness interviewed on Israel’s Channel 2 television.

“We heard people screaming, everyone ran for cover, and there were bloodied people on the ground,” Aviyor said.

Suspected attacker Yishai Schlissel