Clinton Campaign Supports Electors Call For Intelligence Briefing On Russian Interference

Politico is reporting that the Clinton campaign is now supporting the effort of several Electoral College members requesting an intelligence briefing on possible intervention by Russia on the presidential election:

Hillary Clinton’s top political adviser John Podesta said the campaign is supporting an effort by members of the Electoral College to request an intelligence briefing on foreign intervention in the presidential election.

“The bipartisan electors’ letter raises very grave issues involving our national security,” Podesta said in a statement Monday. “Electors have a solemn responsibility under the Constitution and we support their efforts to have their questions addressed.”

“Each day that month, our campaign decried the interference of Russia in our campaign and its evident goal of hurting our campaign to aid Donald Trump,” he said. “Despite our protestations, this matter did not receive the attention it deserved by the media in the campaign. We now know that the CIA has determined Russia’s interference in our elections was for the purpose of electing Donald Trump. This should distress every American.”

CIA Reports Russia Worked To Help Trump Get Elected

Explosive reports showing Russia not only moved to “disrupt” the U.S. elections, but worked specifically to help Donald Trump become president.

From the Washington Post:

The CIA has concluded in a secret assessment that Russia intervened in the 2016 election to help Donald Trump win the presidency, rather than just to undermine confidence in the U.S. electoral system, according to officials briefed on the matter.

Intelligence agencies have identified individuals with connections to the Russian government who provided WikiLeaks with thousands of hacked emails from the Democratic National Committee and others, including Hillary Clinton’s campaign chairman, according to U.S. officials. Those officials described the individuals as actors known to the intelligence community and part of a wider Russian operation to boost Trump and hurt Clinton’s chances.

“It is the assessment of the intelligence community that Russia’s goal here was to favor one candidate over the other, to help Trump get elected,” said a senior U.S. official briefed on an intelligence presentation made to U.S. senators. “That’s the consensus view.”

The Obama administration has been debating for months how to respond to the alleged Russian intrusions, with White House officials concerned about escalating tensions with Moscow and being accused of trying to boost Clinton’s campaign.

In September, during a secret briefing for congressional leaders, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) voiced doubts about the veracity of the intelligence, according to officials present.

The Trump transition team dismissed the findings in a short statement issued Friday evening. “These are the same people that said Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction. The election ended a long time ago in one of the biggest Electoral College victories in history. It’s now time to move on and ‘Make America Great Again,’ ” the statement read.

Trump has consistently dismissed the intelligence community’s findings about Russian hacking.

“I don’t believe they interfered” in the election, he told Time magazine this week. The hacking, he said, “could be Russia. And it could be China. And it could be some guy in his home in New Jersey.”

The CIA shared its latest assessment with key senators in a closed-door briefing on Capitol Hill last week, in which agency officials cited a growing body of intelligence from multiple sources. Agency briefers told the senators it was now “quite clear” that electing Trump was Russia’s goal, according to the officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss intelligence matters.

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) says he wants to investigate whether Russia interfered with the 2016 U.S. election, amongst claims that Donald Trump’s rhetoric on Russia and Vladimir Putin is too soft.

The CIA presentation to senators about Russia’s intentions fell short of a formal U.S. assessment produced by all 17 intelligence agencies. A senior U.S. official said there were minor disagreements among intelligence officials about the agency’s assessment, in part because some questions remain unanswered.

For example, intelligence agencies do not have specific intelligence showing officials in the Kremlin “directing” the identified individuals to pass the Democratic emails to WikiLeaks, a second senior U.S. official said. Those actors, according to the official, were “one step” removed from the Russian government, rather than government employees. Moscow has in the past used middlemen to participate in sensitive intelligence operations so it has plausible deniability.

Julian Assange, the founder of WikiLeaks, has said in a television interview that the “Russian government is not the source.”

The White House and CIA officials declined to comment.

On Friday, the White House said President Obama had ordered a “full review” of Russian hacking during the election campaign, as pressure from Congress has grown for greater public understanding of exactly what Moscow did to influence the electoral process.

“We may have crossed into a new threshold, and it is incumbent upon us to take stock of that, to review, to conduct some after-action, to understand what has happened and to impart some lessons learned,” Obama’s counterterrorism and homeland security adviser, Lisa Monaco, told reporters at a breakfast hosted by the Christian Science Monitor.

Obama wants the report before he leaves office Jan. 20, Monaco said. The review will be led by James Clapper, the outgoing director of national intelligence, officials said.

Much more at the link.

President Obama Orders Investigation Into Election Interference By Russians

From CNN:

President Barack Obama has ordered a full review into 2016 election hacking by the Russians, Homeland Security and Counterterrorism Adviser Lisa Monaco said Friday.

“The President has directed the Intelligence Community to conduct a full review of what happened during the 2016 election process. It is to capture lessons learned from that and to report to a range of stakeholders,” she said at a Christian Science Monitor breakfast. “This is consistent with the work that we did over the summer to engage Congress on the threats that we were seeing.”

Monaco said the administration would be mindful of the consequences of revealing the results of their review publicly.

The review is intended to be done before Donald Trump’s inauguration on January 20.

News Round-Up: December 6, 2016

Joel Ingram via Instagram

Some news stories you may have missed:

• My uber-handsome and talented friend Joel Ingram wants you to remember to “Make the yuletide gay.” He takes a great pic, amiright?

• Eric Trump, son of the orange one, asserted over the weekend that Jill Stein’s recount efforts somehow were to blame for the deaths of “at least 5,000 children.” Of course, Trump could have helped those 5,000 children with the $25 million settlement he paid for scamming thousands of people.

Speaking of money, the city of New York is sending the federal government a bill for $35 million for the cost of securing Trump Tower from November 8th through January 20th.

• Hillary Clinton’s popular vote lead grows to 2.65 million votes. With those numbers, Trump can never claim to have a mandate from the people. 

• Florida voters file a lawsuit in state court demanding a recount of the presidential election based on issues of hacking, faulty voting machines, and voters being turned away from the polls.

• Ever wonder just how much “YouTube stars” make from all those videos? Here’s the Top 10 YouTubers ranked by Forbes:

President-Elect Trump On Recount Effort: “This Is A Scam”

Statement From President-Elect Donald J. Trump on the Ridiculous Green Party Recount Request:

“The people have spoken and the election is over, and as Hillary Clinton herself said on election night, in addition to her conceding by congratulating me, ‘We must accept this result and then look to the future.’

“It is important to point out that with the help of millions of voters across the country, we won 306 electoral votes on Election Day – the most of any Republican since 1988 – and we carried nine of 13 battleground states, 30 of 50 states, and more than 2,600 counties nationwide – the most since President Ronald Reagan in 1984.

“This recount is just a way for Jill Stein, who received less than one percent of the vote overall and wasn’t even on the ballot in many states, to fill her coffers with money, most of which she will never even spend on this ridiculous recount. All three states were won by large numbers of voters, especially Pennsylvania, which was won by more than 70,000 votes.

“This is a scam by the Green Party for an election that has already been conceded, and the results of this election should be respected instead of being challenged and abused, which is exactly what Jill Stein is doing.”

(source)

Radio Show: Election 2016 Post-Mortem with Political Activist Aaron Baldwin

With the 2016 election now firmly in the rear view mirror, political activist Aaron Baldwin joined me today on my BlogTalkRadio show, also named The Randy Report, to discuss the fallout of the presidential election including:

• The last minute collapse of the Hillary Clinton campaign

• The floundering Trump transition team caught unprepared for winning

• Trump still taking to Twitter for occasional meltdown

• Trump has already backpedaled on several key campaign promises – will he disappoint his followers?

• Sen. Jeff Sessions in as Attorney General

• RNC Chair Reince Priebus tapped for Chief Of Staff

• Former NYC Mayor Rudy Giuliani angling for Secretary of State, but Mitt Romney is meeting with Trump for same position

• Former Trump campaign nemesis Sen. Ted Cruz eyeing U.S. Supreme Court seat

Plus, I share a fabulous little thing that happened on Broadway last night when Vice President-elect Mike Pence decided to take in the blockbuster hit, Hamilton: An American Musical.

Donald Trump “Saddened” To Hear Minorities Being Targeted After Election

During his interview with Lesley Stahl of CBS’ 60 Minutes last night, President-elect Donald Trump was “saddened” and surprised to learn of the harassment of minorities in the wake of his election.

And – “if it helps” – he asked his followers to stop it.

#IfItHelps

Clinton Campaign: Comey Letters Stopped Momentum & Energized Trump Voters

Speaking to high level donors on Saturday, Hillary Clinton pointed to the release of two letters by FBI Director James Comey in the last days of the campaign regarding “possibly pertinent” emails found on a laptop of a close aide as the moments that the election shifted.

“There are lots of reasons why an election like this is not successful,” said Secretary Clinton, a donor told The New York Times. “Our analysis is that Comey’s letter raising doubts that were groundless, baseless, proven to be, stopped our momentum.”

The letters were a break in usual protocol regarding the FBI’s handling of information regarding investigations.

From Huffington Post:

After reviewing thousands of emails earlier this year and declining to bring criminal charges against Clinton, Comey released a letter at the end of October announcing that the agency had found additional emails and was reviewing them. The FBI provided no information about the emails at the time, and Trump used the announcement to fuel speculation that Clinton had done something wrong.

Comey went against Justice Department policy in releasing the letter to Congress.

Just over a week later, days before Election Day, Comey released a second letter saying the FBI had found nothing new in the emails and would not change its recommendation not to bring charges.

Clinton claimed the second letter, which cleared her once again of wrongdoing, was more harmful than the first, according to multiple reports. Navin Nayak, head of the Clinton campaign’s opinion research division, also made that point to staffers in an email sent Thursday.

“We believe that we lost this election in the last week,” Nayak’s email, which was obtained by Politico, said. “Comey’s letter in the last 11 days of the election both helped depress our turnout and also drove away some of our critical support among college-educated white voters—particularly in the suburbs. We also think Comey’s 2nd letter, which was intended to absolve Sec. Clinton, actually helped to bolster Trump’s turnout.”

I explored this train of thought last night on my BlogTalkRadio show. You can listen to me dissect the issue here.