This week, Las Vegas will play host to the inaugural Trans Pride Week – five days of events and activities designed to bring awareness and pride to the local transgender community between Nov. 20 – 24.
Spearheaded by The Center, Gender Justice Nevada, Mary Magdalene Friends UCC, Northwest Community Church and Get EQUAL Nevada, anyone within the LGBTQ and allied communities are encouraged to take part in this historic occasion.
Marginalized, victimized and dehumanized, transgender individuals all over the world, including right here in Las Vegas, face unspeakable degradation on a daily basis. Unfortunately, localized data for our transgender community does not exist. However, according to the most recent National Transgender Discrimination Survey compiled by the National Center for Transgender Equality and the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, transgender individuals are steeped in a number of atrocities:
- Compared to the general population, transgender individuals are four times more likely to have a household income of less than $10,000 per year
- A staggering 41% of the transgender population report attempting suicide
- Due to anti-trans bias, 55% of transgender individuals have lost a job
- 64% of the transgender population has experienced sexual assault
- Transgender youth in grades K-12 report alarming rates of harassment (78%), physical assault (35%) and sexual violence (12%)
- Trans people of color are confronted with a devastating combination of anti-transgender bias and persistent, structural racism
For a list of events – beginning Wednesday, November 20th – head over to The Center’s official website.
(via press release)