House Committee Votes To Subpoena White House Personal Emails & Text Messages

The U.S. House Committee on Oversight and Reform voted 23 to 16 to day to authorize the issuance of subpoenas for emails and texts sent to or from White House officials on their personal accounts relating to official business in violation of federal law and the White House’s own records policy.
Ivanka Trump

Remember how Republicans, and especially Donald Trump on the 2016 campaign trail, hammered Hillary Clinton for using her private email for government business?

Surely, after all of that, the Trump administration would absolutely be on point using only their government-issued email accounts, right?

Nope.

The U.S. House Committee on Oversight and Reform voted 23 to 16 to day to authorize the issuance of subpoenas for emails and texts sent to or from White House officials on their personal accounts relating to official business in violation of federal law and the White House’s own records policy.

Chairman Elijah Cummings said this in advance of the committee vote:

“The Committee has obtained direct evidence that multiple high-level White House officials have been violating the Presidential Records Act by using personal email accounts, text messaging services, and even encrypted applications for official business—and not preserving those records in compliance with federal law. What we do not yet know is why these White House officials were attempting to conceal these communications.”

The House committee has been trying for months to obtain the documents and information.

In a press release regarding the vote today, the committee specifically called out current and former White House advisers Jared Kushner, Ivanka Trump, Steve Bannon, and K.T. McFarland for using private email or cell phones in the course of government business.

Dallas-Born U.S. Citizen Held In Immigration Detention For Nearly A Month

On June 27, an 18-year-old U.S. citizen was detained at a border Patrol checkpoint for almost a month, reports Buzzfeed News.
(Francisco Galicia via Facebook)

An 18-year-old U.S. citizen was detained at a border Patrol checkpoint for almost a month, reports Buzzfeed News.

Francisco Galicia was stopped while driving to a soccer recruiting event from his home in the border town of Edinburg on June 27. Even though he had his Texas ID and his birth certificate, he was held in custody for 26 days.

“The officers were just telling him they didn’t believe he was a US citizen, he was Mexican and should go back to Mexico,” attorney Claudia Galan told BuzzFeed News. “He said that it was inhumane, the worst experience ever. He doesn’t wish that to anybody.”

While held in immigration detention, Francisco slept on the floor of a cell crowded with 60 men. He was denied access to a phone to call his mother or lawyer. During that time, he lost 20 pounds from a lack of food.

Francisco told the Dallas Morning News he was also unable to shower for 23 days while in custody.

The conditions were so terrible, Francisco considered signing the paperwork that would deport him to Mexico just to get out.

The high school student was born in Dallas in December 2000, according to his birth certificate.

While in custody, officers ran Francisco’s name and discovered an old travel visa.

The visa had been applied for by his mother when he was a child. Because she didn’t enter the country legally, she had used a different name on his birth certificate and didn’t believe she could get him a US passport.

Because of the “conflicting reports,” ICE and CBP say they had taken appropriate steps.

“Situations including conflicting reports from the individual and multiple birth certificates can, and should, take more time to verify,” the agencies said. “While we continue to research the facts of the situation, the individual has been released from ICE custody.”

Note – “Take more time to verify?” He was in custody for 26 days and had an American birth certificate.

You can almost understand taking a few hours. MAYBE a day?

But he’s in the system as an American who was born in Dallas.

Look out, folks. Don’t think it can’t happen to you.

In January, a US-born Marine veteran who served in Afghanistan had his US passport, had a REAL ID driver’s license, had his military ID card, and his US Marine Corps dog tags with him when he was arrested in Grand Rapids, Michigan, and turned over to Immigration and Customs Enforcement. He was held for three days before he was released.

Accused Sex Trafficker Jeffrey Epstein Found Unconscious/Injured In Jail Cell

Financier and accused sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein was found in his Manhattan jail cell with marks on his neck this week, a law enforcement source and a source familiar with the incident said Thursday.
Jeffrey Epstein

From CNN:

Financier and accused sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein was found in his Manhattan jail cell with marks on his neck this week, a law enforcement source and a source familiar with the incident said Thursday.

It is not clear to jail officials if the injuries, incurred Tuesday, were self-inflicted or the result of an assault, the law enforcement source said.

Epstein is awaiting trial at Metropolitan Correctional Center, New York. He is charged with one count of sex trafficking of minors and one count of conspiracy to engage in sex trafficking. He has pleaded not guilty.

The 66-year-old allegedly paid girls as young as 14 to have sex with him at his Upper East Side home and his estate in Palm Beach, Florida, between 2002 and 2005. Federal prosecutors say he used employees and associates to lure the girls to his residences and then paid some of his victims to recruit other girls for him to abuse.

Governor Of Puerto Rico Resigns (Finally)

Puerto Rico Gov. Ricardo Rosselló is expected to resign Wednesday after more than a week of protests that rocked the island's capital city, a source familiar with the situation told CNN.
Gov. Ricardo Rosselló

UPDATE 2: After delaying for hours (days really) and facing impeachment proceedings, Gov. Rosselló resigned late Wednesday night. He will officially leave office August 2.

***********************************

UPDATE 1: According to CBS News reporter David Begnaud, Gov. Rosselló had privately agreed to resign his office but reneged. So, now Puerto Rico’s House of Representatives plans to begin impeachment proceedings.

***********************************

CNN reports:

Puerto Rico Gov. Ricardo Rosselló is expected to resign Wednesday after more than a week of protests that rocked the island’s capital city, a source familiar with the situation told CNN.

Thousands have jammed the streets of San Juan calling for the governor’s resignation after Puerto Rico’s Center for Investigative Journalism published a series of group messages between the governor and his inner circle that included homophobic and misogynistic language and jokes about Hurricane Maria victims.

The person expected to take Rosselló’s place is Puerto Rico Secretary of Justice Wanda Vazquez.

The news comes a day after Rosselló’s chief of staff submitted his resignation, effective July 31.

Just days ago, Rosselló announced he would remain in office, but would not seek reelection in 2020. He also agreed to resign from his position as president of the new Progressive Party.

News Round-Up: July 24, 2019

(via Instagram)

Some news items you might have missed:

InstaHunks: Woofy Diego Lozano (above) reminds me how many InstaHunks I follow in Spain. Which I guess explains why I’m headed back there in August 😉

The Economist: In a new poll conducted by YouGov, former Vice President Joe Biden has a 7 point lead over Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) 25/18 respectively. In third place, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) garnered 13 percent support.

GQ: Asked about “gay rumors,” NFL star Odell Beckham Jr. says he “wasn’t offended,” adding, “I have no problem with anyone’s sexual orientation. Love is Love.”

Twitter: Not to be weird or anything, but is that the ‘white power’ hand signal Trump is making?

Billboard: Out rapper Lil Nas X has tied the record (16 weeks) for the most weeks at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100. The other record holders are Mariah Carey & Boyz II Men’s “One Sweet Day,” and Luis Fonsi, Daddy Yankee and Justin Bieber’s “Despacito.” He also scored 8 MTV Music Video Award nominations today including ‘Video of the Year.’

USA Today: A New Jersey school board member, Daniel Leonard, may face an ethics inquiry over social media posts that include violent comments regarding Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-Michigan). One post read, “My life would be complete if she/they die,” across a photo of Tlaib. Leonard was, unsurprisingly, charged in a road rage incident last week where he crashed into a tree while chasing another motorist.

Out Music: Openly pansexual artist Madison Malone releases this sweet mid-tempo groove, “Quiet Down.” The music video features a wide, diverse universe of folks sharing their thoughts on what “love is.”

The Wisconsin native has performed at some of the world’s largest music festivals including SXSW and SUMMERFEST, where she was voted ‘Favorite Emerging Artist.’ Find out more at her official website here.

New PrEP Implant Could Protect Against HIV For Up To One Year

Pharmaceutical company MSD has announced early, but promising, news regarding the first round of testing on humans for its PrEP implant, known as Islatravir, which could prevent HIV infection for up to a year.

Pharmaceutical company MSD has announced early, but promising, news regarding the first round of testing on humans for its PrEP implant, known as Islatravir, which could prevent HIV infection for up to a year.

The news was shared at the 10th International AIDS Society Conference on HIV Science in Mexico City. The biennial conference is considered the world’s most influential meeting on HIV research and its applications.

Currently, PrEP is available as a daily oral medication. But researchers project the new implant will effectively deliver a slow, steady stream of anti-HIV meds for up to one year.

The implant would be placed under the skin of a patient’s arm. For those patients who find difficulty in adhering to a once-a-day dose, the new implant could represent a major benefit.

Additionally, a once-a-year choice would offer a more discreet option for patients who are concerned about the stigma of being on PrEP.

“Islatravir could be a game-changer for HIV prevention,” said Matthew Hodson, director of British HIV awareness group NAM. “PrEP is already extraordinarily effective at preventing HIV.”

The CDC reports that among men who have sex with men, taking PrEP daily or consistently (at least 4 times per week), reduces the risk of acquiring HIV by about 99 percent.

Hodson added, “I’m enthusiastic about Islatravir’s potential to make it easier for people to go on PrEP, and maintain levels of drug in the body necessary to provide protection for a year, without additional dosing.”

IAS President Anton Pozniak concurred, saying an implant offers “a promising solution to those who face challenges adhering to a daily PrEP regimen.”

(source: International AIDS Society)

UK’s New Prime Minister Boris Johnson Promises UK Will Leave EU By October 31

Prime Minister Boris Johnson

Newly-elected UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson told the people of Britain in his first official speech that his country will – “do or die” – definitely leave the European Union by October 31.

Via Reuters:

Johnson, who has been hailed by U.S. President Donald Trump as Britain’s Trump, is sending the strongest message yet to the EU that he will be taking a distinctly tougher approach to negotiating the Brexit divorce deal.

He enters Downing Street at one of the most perilous junctures in post-World War Two British history – the United Kingdom is divided over Brexit and weakened by the three-year political crisis that has gripped it since the 2016 referendum.

“We are going to fulfill the repeated promises of parliament to the people and come out of the EU on October 31, no ifs or buts,” Johnson, 55, said after arriving at his new residence, No.10 Downing Street.

“We can do a deal without checks at the Irish border,” Johnson said, watched by his girlfriend Carrie Symonds and his staff. “It is of course vital at the same time that we prepare for the remote possibility that Brussels refuses any further to negotiate and we are forced to come out with no deal.”

One of Britain’s most prominent Brexit campaigners, Johnson has repeatedly pledged to leave the EU by Oct. 31 – “do or die” – and to inject a new optimism and energy into the divorce, which he argues will bring a host of opportunities.

Web Series: When Two Bad Boys Show Up On Date Night…

Artie O’Daly drops the latest installment of his ‘Bad Boy’ video series, and this time we get not one, but two ‘Bad Boys’ making trouble for Daddy Scott.
Bad boys Braden Davis (L), Drew Bradley (R)

Artie O’Daly drops the latest installment of his ‘Bad Boy’ video series, and this time we get not one, but two ‘Bad Boys’ making trouble for Daddy Scott.

It’s Friday night and Scott (O’Daly) is prepping for the arrival of a date (not a hookup!) when Bad Boy Jim (Drew Bradley) seemingly appears out of nowhere with Chinese food scaring the bejesus out of Scott making him spill red wine on himself.

“How did you get in here?” asks Scott.

“The same way I get into anyone’s apartment – I walk in behind you, mimicked your every move and then waited in the corner until I wanted to be seen,” Jim casually admits.

Okay…

No time for Chinese food, though, cause Scott has to find something to wear.

After checking for dead people outside, Jim scampers off to find some clothes for Scott.

Artie O’Daly

Problem solved! Except, after locking the door behind Jim, BJ (Braden Davis) appears out of nowhere.

How do these guys get in?

“Same way I get into any apartment – stole your keys, made a copy, now I watch you sleep every now and then,” shares BJ.

Turns out he’s also installed surveillance cameras to keep tabs on Scott as well – nothing strange about that, right?

It seems cousins BJ and Jim have serious jealousy issues including over the attention of ‘Daddy Scott.’

The arguing escalates between the ‘Bad Boys’ and we eventually get to some shirtless wrestling to determine who gets ownership of ‘Daddy Scott.’ Jim might have the edge here considering his time spent on the stripper circuit.

Bad boys behaving badly

Clothes come off, Scott’s cute date (Doug Rogers) appears, and, well, hit play below to see how it turns out.

Props to O’Daly for his consistently off-kilter dialogue that keeps the ‘Bad Boys’ so quirky and entertaining.

I’ve previously featured O’Daly’s ‘Bad Boys’ here, here, here and here.

Happy Hump Day!

Mueller Asked If His Report ‘Completely Exonerated’ Trump – “No”

Robert Mueller

Very fatiguing to watch the ongoing testimony by Special Counsel Robert Mueller, but there has been one point made that will discussed for days.

After Donald Trump has repeated the reality he wants to see – that he was found ‘completely’ innocent by the investigation and that there was ‘total exoneration – Mueller was directly asked if his report ‘completely exonerated’ the president.

Mueller’s answer: “No.”

Here’s the clip everyone will be playing.

I’ll add that, due to a five-minute time frame allotted for each member of the committee, everyone is speaking very, very quickly. Members of Congress are trying to cite very specific pages and quotes from hundreds of pages of Mueller’s report and asking, “Is that correct?”

In that every word Mueller utters is going to parsed over and over, and that Mueller knows he’s under oath, he’s clearly trying to stay within the boundaries with which he’s allowed to speak to and be as accurate as possible.

I’m younger than Mueller by decades and having a hard time keeping up with how fast some questions are being posed.

Trump Rants On Twitter (Predictably) Before Mueller Testimony

In advance of Special Counsel Robert Mueller's testimony this morning, Donald Trump had a Twitter meltdown complaining, yet again, about his often-referenced 'witch hunt.'
Donald Trump

In advance of Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s testimony this morning, Donald Trump had a Twitter meltdown complaining, yet again, about his often-referenced ‘witch hunt.’

The Donald has said he doesn’t intend to watch the testimony…

Sure, Donald.