Matt Gaetz Withdraws As Attorney General Nominee

Former Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) has announced he will withdraw from consideration to be Donald Trump’s nominee for Attorney General following a slew of details being revealed about alleged sexual encounters with minors. Matt Gaetz withdraws From the Washington Post:

A person involved in Donald Trump’s team, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal conversations, said there was widespread belief that Matt Gaetz did not have the Senate votes needed to be named attorney general — and that did not change after the meetings Wednesday.

The person said Gaetz wanted the job and pitched Trump that he would take on the Justice Department and that the decision to select Gaetz was controversial even within Trump’s orbit.

“He was going to be the worst confirmation by far, and I don’t think the votes were there,” the person said.

At least two Republican senators told Trump’s advisers that Gaetz could not get confirmed, a Trump adviser said.

In newly-reported details regarding Gaetz’s alleged sexcapades, CNN reported today that the woman who says she had sex when she was a minor with Gaetz told the House Ethics Committee there were two sexual encounters with him at one party in 2017. The woman, who was 17 at the time, testified under oath that the second sexual encounter, which has not previously been reported, included another adult woman.


Discover more from The Randy Report

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Share via
Copy link