The Broadway musical “Wicked,” which tells the backstory of what happened in Oz before Dorothy arrived, is about to pass a historic threshold. Continue reading “Broadway’s WICKED Set To Cross A Big Milestone”
In this week’s podcast – Bridgerton star Jonathan Bailey joins the cast of the upcoming film adaptations of the Broadway musical Wicked. Plus… Continue reading “Podcast: Jonathan Bailey, Angelica Ross, New Music + More”
Director Jon M. Chu confirmed via Twitter that out hottie Jonathan Bailey will play romantic lead “Fiyero” in the upcoming Wicked movies. Continue reading “Jonathan Bailey Joins Cast Of WICKED Movies”
Carla Stickler made a whirlwind comeback to the stage as “Elphaba” in the Broadway production of WICKED after receiving a call to fly to New York for an emergency performance due to COVID and holiday staffing shortages. Continue reading “Former WICKED Actor Returns 7 Years Later After Receiving Emergency Call”
Some news items you might have missed:
• The Advocate: A group organized by the LGBTQ+ travel company Vacaya sheltered in place with others during a shootout in Cancun (above), which was apparently between rival drug gangs. Continue reading “News Round-Up: November 4, 2021”
Eleven “Elpahbas” from the blockbuster musical Wicked unite to support the arts.
This epic “Defying Gravity” features (in order of appearance) Shoshana Bean, Eden Espinosa, Stephanie J. Block, Alexia Khadime, Julia Murney, Lindsay Mendez, Lindsay Pearce, Rachel Tucker, Jessica Vosk, Idina Menzel, and Kerry Ellis.
Excerpted from the virtual concert Shoshana Bean and Friends: An Evening of Broadway, which premiered live on July 13, 2020.
Shoshana organized the event to support and benefit the arts programs at her alma mater, Beaverton High School. Click here for more info and/or donate.
Folks, this is worth hitting play 😉
As the first comment on the YouTube page says, “This is what gay heaven sounds like.”
|Randy Rainbow has a reminder for you|
Just in time for the midterm elections, political satirist Randy Rainbow shares a ‘Wicked’ election eve reminder.
Riffing on “What Is This Feeling?” from the blockbuster Broadway musical, Rainbow urges everyone to get out and vote!
If you want the privilege to whine
Don’t just tweet, lament, and opine
Put some make-up on and
Get your ass in line
“Good luck at the polls tomorrow, everyone. May the Schwartz be with you!”
|Kristin Chenoweth and Idina Menzel reunite for “A Very Wicked Halloween”|
OMG – it’s still Halloween, so I can still post my favorite witches!
NBC aired the fab “A Very Wicked Halloween” TV special this week and I loved it!
I saw the original cast twice and here we are 15 years later as the fab Broadway musical, Wicked, continues to kill it at the Gershwin Theater in New York City.
I love Wicked – it’s about women discovering their true power.
It’s about marginalized people coming to grips with their true power, and majesty.
It’s about owning who we are with pride.
Original stars Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth reunited for the special, and it was terrific.
Kristin performed “Popular,” Idina gave us “Defying Gravity,” pop star Ariana Grande delivered a terrific “The Wizard & I,” Ledisi and Adam Lambert (a former Wicked cast member) sang “As Long As You’re Mine,” and Grammy Award winners Pentatonix performed “What Is This Feeling?”
The finale of the special was Idina and Kristin joined by past ‘Elphabas’ and ‘Glindas’ for my husband’s favorite song from Wicked, “For Good.”
Check out the performances below.
|Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth in “Wicked”
(photo: Joan Marcus)
Wicked fans are about to lose their minds 🙂
The blockbuster Broadway musical’s original stars, Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth, will reunite for the show’s 15th anniversary this fall.
The duo who conquered Oz as “Glinda” (Chenoweth) and “Elphaba” (Menzel) will headline a special tribute concert on NBC in October.
The producers of Wicked offer this synposis:
Winner of over 50 major awards including the Grammy Award and three Tony Awards®, WICKED is the untold story of the witches of Oz. Long before Dorothy drops in, two other girls meet in the land of Oz. One, born with emerald-green skin, is smart, fiery and misunderstood. The other is beautiful, ambitious and very popular. WICKED tells the story of their remarkable odyssey, how these two unlikely friends grow to become the Wicked Witch of the West and Glinda the Good.
To refresh your memory, here’s the spectacular Tony Award performance in 2004 of the act one closer, “Defying Gravity.”
Joining the pair of Broadway veterans will be recording artists like Ariana Grande and Pentatonix with more guest stars to be announced..
NBC special programs and late night exec Doug Vaughan issued this statement about the casting coup:
“Wicked is a blockbuster musical playing all over the world and still selling out night after night after 15 years on Broadway, and we’re thrilled to be partnering with Emmy and Tony-winning producer Marc Platt and the entire Wicked team to celebrate the enduring success of this show.”
The terrific twosome will return to Oz, on Monday, October 29, when the Wicked special airs on NBC.
In May of 2016, Kristin and Idina reunited for a special studio version of their duet, “For Good.”
Oh yeah, the magic is still there 🙂
Some news stories you may have missed:
• Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS will donate $150,000 to aid the victims of the Orlando nightclub shooting.
• Former President Bill Clinton says more would have died in the Orlando nightclub shooting if they had been armed. Gee, alcohol + fear + dark nightclub + guns shooting into the dark – what could possibly go wrong?
• Donald Trump now says he plans to talk to the NRA about blocking folks on the “No-Fly” list from being able to purchase guns. Glad to see he’s taking Hillary Clinton’s advice.
• Billionaire Mark Cuban, longtime LGBT ally, is donating $1 million to help fund added security measures for Dallas’ LGBT community. Hmm, where’s the donation from our “good friend” Donald Trump?
• Vanity Fair takes a broad look at the current state of the presidential race, and for now, it’s looking very good for Hillary.
• Broadway blockbuster Wicked will hit the silver screen December 20, 2019. How’s that for planning?
• Two active-duty Marines are under investigation after posting a photo to a closed Facebook grouop for Marines that read “Coming to a gay bar near you!” showing a corporal in uniform holding a rifle with his finger near the trigger.