Megyn Kelly Details Sexual Assault Attempts By Roger Ailes In New Memoir

Radar Online is reporting that Fox News host Megyn Kelly’s new memoir, Settle For More, includes new accounts of sexual assault by former Fox News head Roger Ailes.

Ailes’ advances apparently began in 2005.

She writes that she was informed by her managing editor that she’d “captured the attention of Mr. Ailes” and she was summoned to the first of a series of meetings in his Manhattan office.

“Roger began pushing the limits,” she alleges. “There was a pattern to his behavior. I would be called into Roger’s office, he would shut the door, and over the next hour or two, he would engage in a kind of cat-and-mouse game with me — veering between obviously inappropriate sexually charged comments (e.g. about the ‘very sexy bras’ I must have and how he’d like to see me in them) and legitimate professional advice.”

He offered to advance her career “in exchange for sexual favors,” she writes, and even though she says she rejected “every single one,” she claims he tried “physical advances.” But in January 2006, she claims, he “crossed a new line — trying to grab me repeatedly and kiss me on the lips.” When she shoved him away, she alleges, “he asked me an ominous question: ‘When is your contract up?’ And then, for the third time, he tried to kiss me.”

According to Kelly’s publisher, the Ailes accounts were added at the last minute to her memoir.

I have several friends who work for Fox News. All were very disappointed in Ailes’ behavior, and said when they thought back over the years it didn’t really surprise them. However, my friends being all men, they didn’t have the same perspective on the sexual harassment as the women who came forward.

I’m told that the lawsuit by Gretchen Carlson was settled so quickly because she had been recording Ailes’ advances over the past year, and the recordings were going to be played in public if the case went to court.

Fox News Will Pay $20 Million Settlement To Gretchen Carlson In Sexual Harassment Suit

This seems to be a very quick resolution to Gretchen Carlson’s sexual harassment lawsuit against Fox News head Roger Ailes.

You have to imagine the evidence was very strong.

Fox News has agreed to pay former news host Carlson $20 million in the sexual-harassment lawsuit she filed against cable-news channel founder Roger Ailes just two months ago.

Since Carlson came forward, several other women at Fox News have made their own statements backing Carlson’s experience of harassment.

Although he’s been relieved of his duties, Ailes still claims he’s innocent of the charges.

Fox News issued this statement:

“21st Century Fox is pleased to announce that it has settled Gretchen Carlson’s lawsuit.

“During her tenure at Fox News, Gretchen exhibited the highest standards of journalism and professionalism.

“She developed a loyal audience and was a daily source of information for many Americans. We are proud that she was part of the Fox News team.

“We sincerely regret and apologize for the fact that Gretchen was not treated with the respect and dignity that she and all of our colleagues deserve.”

In related news, Greta Van Susteren has quit the network effective immediately after 14 years with Fox News.

UPDATE: And now Gretchen Carlson has issued her own statement:

“I am gratified that 21st Century Fox took decisive action after I filed my complaint. I’m ready to move on the next chapter of my life in which I will redouble my efforts to empower women in the workplace. I want to thank all the brave women who came forward to tell their own stories and the many people across the country who embraced and supported me in their #StandWithGretchen. All women deserve a dignified and respectful workplace in which talent, hard work and loyalty are recognized, revered and rewarded.”

News Round-Up: August 23, 2016

Some news stories you may have missed:

• Kayne Lawton posted something about food on his Instagram, but… there’s food in the pic?

• There’s yet another sexual harassment lawsuit filed against former Fox News boss Roger Ailes.

• Right-wing nutjob Ann Coulter says if Hillary Clinton wins the presidency, there will never be another Republican president. I’m not seeing the problem here…

• GOP presidential candidate flew to Louisiana for a photo op during which he spent exactly 49 seconds “helping” the people affected by disastrous flooding, and gave a $100K donation to the church of virulently anti-LGBT Tony Perkins.

• Homocon and Breitbart editor Milo Yiannopoulos raised between $100-250K for scholarships for “white men” but in almost a year none of the money has been distributed as the cash sits in Yiannopoulos’ bank account.

• Speaking of Milo, Trump supporters have begun to defend accusations of racism by saying “We can’t be racist because Milo is gay.” Feel free to explain that cognitive dissonance.

• Melania Trump is suing the Daily Mail and other outlets for insinuating she was an “escort” in the 1990s.

• A federal judge has ordered the release of another 15,000 emails from Hillary Clinton’s email server over the course of four dates in October.

• The man who wrote the Republican National Convention speech for Pat Smith, whose son was killed in the Benghazi attacks, now says he will probably be voting for Hillary Clinton.

• Check out the one and only Cher introducing Hillary Clinton at a fundraiser in Provincetown this past weekend.

Fired Fox News Chairman Roger Ailes Advising Donald Trump For Presidential Debates

Roger Ailes

As Republican Donald Trump finds himself sinking lower and lower in the polls when it comes to the support of women, suddenly it occurs to him – “I know, I’ll have Roger Ailes coach me in advance of the coming presidential debates!”

Brilliant!

I mean, who better than the guy who was recently forced out at Fox News as for multiple charges of sexual harassment? His approval rating among women is even lower that the Donald’s!

Absolutely 3-D chess playing, expert political gamesmanship there. I’m telling you that.

From the New York Times:

Mr. Ailes is aiding Mr. Trump’s team as it turns its attention to the first debate with Hillary Clinton, the Democratic nominee, on Sept. 26 at Hofstra University on Long Island, according to four people briefed on the move, who insisted on anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter.

Two of them said that Mr. Ailes’s role could extend beyond the debates, which Mr. Trump’s advisers see as crucial to vaulting him back into strong contention for the presidency after a series of self-inflicted wounds that have eroded his standing in public opinion polls.

It was not clear when Mr. Ailes began helping the campaign. He resigned his post at Fox News on July 21 amid an investigation into allegations of sexual harassment by former female employees that occurred after a lawsuit by the former anchor Gretchen Carlson.

The Trump campaign denies Ailes’ involvement in any capacity.

Roger Ailes Out At Fox News

In the aftermath of sexual harassment allegations from multiple employees, Fox News Chairman and CEO has “resigned.”

Rupert Murdoch, Executive Chairman, 21st Century Fox, will take over the duties of Chairman and acting CEO of Fox News.

Murdoch issued a statement saying, “Roger Ailes has made a remarkable contribution to our company and our country. Roger shared my vision of a great and independent television organization and executed it brilliantly over 20 years.”

In addition to the allegations by female employees as high profile as Gretchen Carlson and Megyn Kelly, rumors have been swirling that Murdoch’s sons wanted to see Ailes out.

For 2015, Fox News was the number two channel on cable TV behind only ESPN.

Oh – of course Ailes denies all the sexual harassment allegations. 

Rumors have circulated that Ailes could leave with a $40 million “golden parachute.”

Gretchen Carlson Files Sexual Harassment Suit Against Fox News Chief Roger Ailes

Ever wonder why longtime Fox News host Gretchen Carlson disappeared from the right-leaning news channel’s lineup?

This might be a clue: Variety is reporting that Carlson has filed a sexual harassment lawsuit against the network’s top executive, Roger Ailes.

According to the filing, Ailes made unwanted sexual advances to Carlson, and when she didn’t return the interest she found herself out of a job.

A Fox News Channel spokesperson could not be reached for immediate comment.

I’ll be curious to see if this allegation could lead to other women coming forward a la Bill Cosby?

We shall see…

Donald Trump Continues Feud With Fox News

After Donald Trump attacked Megyn Kelly on Twitter last night, Fox News chief Roger Ailes fired off this statement (via Politico reporter Hadas Gold):

But you know The Donald ain’t gonna let someone else have the last word. So, the Trumpster responded thusly:

And on it goes…