
Florida: Officer At Parkland Shooting Stood Outside Instead Of Confronting Shooter
![]() |
| Nikolas Cruz |
The NRA and Donald Trump have been touting that a trained professional with a gun could have stopped Nikolas Cruz from killing 17 people at the tragic gun massacre at a Parkland, Florida, high school last week.
Except – there was a trained professional with a gun onsite at the shooting.
The good guy with a gun never went in.
The sheriff’s deputy who was assigned to the Florida school where a gunman killed 17 people last week has left the force after evidence showed he stood outside the building where the shooting occurred rather than going in, Sheriff Scott Israel said Thursday.
“He never went in,” Sheriff Israel said, describing video footage of the scene he had watched.
Asked what school resource officer Scott Peterson should have done, the sheriff said he should have gone into the building, “addressed the killer, killed the killer.”
Mr. Peterson resigned after Sheriff Israel suspended him without pay pending an internal investigation, the sheriff said, speaking at a news conference.
Family That Took In Florida Shooter Speaks To GMA
Kimberly and James Snead of Coral Springs, Florida, took in Nikolas Cruz, the 19-year-old who killed 17 people at a Florida high school last week, after his adoptive mother passed away in November.
The Sneads told Good Morning America this morning in their first interview since the shooting tragedy they saw no signs of possible violence from Cruz.
Via HuffPost:
“I still can’t process it because this isn’t the person we knew,” Kimberly Snead continued. “Not at all.”
“Everything everybody seems to know, we didn’t know,” James Snead said on “Good Morning America.” “We had rules and he followed every rule to the T. … He was very polite. He seemed normal.”
“As far as the animal killings, he never did anything like that at our house,” he said. “We have animals and he loved our animals. Our animals loved him.”
Cruz was charged Thursday with 17 counts of premeditated murder. He is being held without bail. Kimberly Snead described being overcome with emotion when she first saw Cruz at the police station after the shooting.
“I really wanted to strangle him more than anything,” she said. “I tried to reserve myself. I said, ‘Really, Nik? Really?’ I yelled at him. He mumbled something, but I didn’t hear him. He said he was sorry. … I was just furious and heartbroken.”
“I can’t imagine the pain [the victims’ families] must be feeling,” she said. “Nothing that we can say is going to be any kind of help. We’re very sorry that they had this experience and it never should have happened.”
Watch the interview below.
FULL INTERVIEW: “I still can’t believe what he’s done.” The family that took in the Florida shooting suspect speaks out, sitting down with @michaelstrahan in their first TV interview since the shooting: https://t.co/ACQcOyfQRq pic.twitter.com/axoxIzYEvf— Good Morning America (@GMA) February 19, 2018
Update On Florida High School Shooting
![]() |
| Accused Florida shooter Nikolas Cruz |
The latest news regarding yesterday’s hideous gun massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, which left 17 dead.
That death toll could rise.
• The shooter, identified as 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz, has been charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder.
• According to Dr. Evan Boyer, Broward Health North received a total of nine patients, including the suspect who was treated and released to authorities. Two patients died, three have been discharged, while another three remain in the hospital.
• Doctor Menendez of Broward Health Emergency told reporters that out of the seven patients they received, two remain in critical but stable condition and the other five have been a released.
• Gov. Rick Scott of Florida told the press he plans to meet with state lawmakers to secure more funding for school safety and the treatment of mental illness. “If we have somebody that’s mentally ill, they can’t have access to a gun,” Mr. Scott said.
• A leader of a white nationalist group has confirmed Cruz was member of his organization and participated in organized drills. #VeryFinePeople
Nothing I can say about these tragedies can express the sheer pain and frustration as the words of this mother can:
Mother of victim: "President Trump, please do something." https://t.co/F5Agisb8Nx— Veronica Rocha (@VeronicaRochaLA) February 15, 2018
And then there’s this:
Sept 2017, FBI was told of shooter’s “I’m going to be a professional school shooter” post on Youtube. FBI said today its agents couldn’t ID him — though he had posted under his name with same unusual spelling.
1/— Jake Tapper (@jaketapper) February 15, 2018
2/ By that time, Sept 2017, the shooter had:
* been suspended from school for fights and for bringing ammunition to school;
* been expelled for disciplinary reasons;
* bought a gun (Feb 2017)— Jake Tapper (@jaketapper) February 15, 2018
3/ The shooter’s social media footprint was also fairly disturbing by the time the FBI heard the complaint about his Youtube posting. And he posted under his own name.— Jake Tapper (@jaketapper) February 15, 2018
4/ In July 2017, under a news clip about the doctor who shot up the Bronx hospital where he used to work, someone posting under the shooter’s name wrote:”Man I can do so much better”— Jake Tapper (@jaketapper) February 15, 2018
5/ One month AFTER the complaint to the FBI, under a video of a Trump supporter being pushed around, someone with the same name as the shooter posted:
“I whana shoot people with my Ar-15”— Jake Tapper (@jaketapper) February 15, 2018