Donald Trump Releases Whiny, Defensive 60 Minutes Interview

Donald Trump

Donald Trump on 60 Minutes (screen capture)
Donald Trump followed through on his threat to release the “full video” of his interview with CBS News journalist Leslie Stahl prior to airing on “60 Minutes” on Sunday night. From the Washington Post:

Trump was interviewed by Stahl at the White House on Tuesday but abruptly ended the interview after declining to participate in a scheduled walk-and-talk that would have included Pence.

Later that day, the president said on Twitter that he was “considering” posting the White House’s copy of the video, “so that everybody can get a glimpse of what a FAKE and BIASED interview is all about.”

Then, on Thursday morning, after he again teased a release of the video (“the vicious attempted ‘takeout” interview of me”), a 37-minute-clip of the interview appeared on the president’s Facebook page.

As with numerous business agreements in his past, Trump violates the agreement with CBS News in releasing the video. The White House had previously claimed their camera was “for archival purposes only,” according to a network official with knowledge of the interview.

News Round-Up: October 20, 2020

Matt Morton (screen capture)
Some news items you might have missed: • Edge Media: Thirst-trapping, self-described ‘typical alpha male footballer’ Matt Morton (above) comes out at 30-years-old. • NBC News: The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners voted unanimously to remove anti-LGBTQ discrimination protections from a section of its code of conduct last week following a recommendation from Gov. Greg Abbott. Abbott’s office said the change was suggested because the board’s nondiscrimination clause went beyond the state’s policy on social work. • Boy Culture: Donald Trump and Mike Pence were set to be interviewed by 60 Minutes, with Trump and Pence appearing together for a walk-around at the White House. But Trump apparently bailed 45 minutes into his interview with Lesley Stahl, then took to Twitter to shame her for not wearing a mask. Joe Biden and Sen. Kamala Harris are also set to appear in the episode, and their segments apparently went off without problems.

US Elections Project: Of the states that provide party-registration information (which includes battleground states Florida, Nevada and Pennsylvania), about 53% of early votes have been cast by registered Democrats compared with 25% by registered Republicans. • Politico: The Fox News crowd may be salivating over the recent stories about Hunter Biden, son of former Vice President Joe Biden, but over 50 former senior Intelligence officials say the reports have “all the classic earmarks of Russian disinformation.” • CNN: A poll worker in Shelby County, Tennessee, was fired last week for asking voters to turn their Black Lives Matter t-shirts inside out before letting them vote, violating his training as a nonpartisan election worker. The state bans voters and poll workers from wearing clothing that endorses a political candidate, but Black Lives Matter is neither a candidate nor a political party. • Law and Crime: Miami police officer Daniel Ubeda was photographed Tuesday morning at a Florida polling location wearing a “Trump 2020: No More Bullshit” face mask, a move the department said is an “unacceptable” and a violation of MPD policy. Florida election law Chapter 102.101 states that “No sheriff, deputy sheriff, police officer, or other officer of the law shall be allowed within the polling place without permission from the clerk or a majority of the inspectors, except to cast his or her ballot.”

Highlights (Lowlights?) From Donald Trump’s ’60 Minutes’ Interview

Donald Trump

Donald Trump’s sit-down with 60 Minutes reporter Lesley Stahl last night provided several eye-brow raising moments for the American public.

Oh goodness, where to begin?

After telling his supporters at campaign rallies that he and Kim Jong Un “fell in love” and that he really gets along great with him, Stahl brought up some of the most notorious aspects of the North Korean dictator’s resume.

When Stahl brings up Trump mocking Dr. Christine Blasey Ford on the campaign trail, asking if he thinks he treated Ford with respect, Trump diverts with a simple, “It doesn’t matter – we won.”

Eventually, Trump could tell the chat wasn’t going well. He finally got snippy telling the veteran reporter, “Lesley, it’s ok. In the meantime, I’m president and you’re not.”

Reporter Lesley Stahl: Trump Told Me He Attacks The Press ‘So When You Write Negative Stories About Me, No One Will Believe You’

Veteran 60 Minutes reporter Lesley Stahl appeared at the annual Deadline Club Awards Dinner in New York City for a Q&A with fellow journalist Judy Woodruff on Monday night.

Stahl shared in the 30 minute chat about interviewing Donald Trump in Trump Tower shortly after the election. Before the interview began, he began railing at the press and she asked him why he attacks the media so much.

“Before the interview I met with him in Trump Tower. And he really is the same off camera that he is on camera, exactly the same.

“And at one point he started to attack the press. And it’s just me and my boss and him – he has a huge office – and he’s attacking the press. And there were no cameras, there was nothing going on.

“And I said, ‘You know, that is getting tired, why are you doing this? You’re doing it over and over and it’s boring, it’s time to end that, you’ve won the nomination [sic], and why do you keep hammering at this?’

“And he said: ‘You know why I do it? I do it to discredit you all and demean you all so when you write negative stories about me no one will believe you.’

“He said that. So put that in your head for a minute.”

Bolding is mine.

Judy Woodruff’s reaction says it all. Watch below.