Boston Marathon Bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Sentenced to Death By Execution

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has been sentenced to death by execution for his participation in the Boston marathon bombing that killed three including a child and a police officer, and injured 264.

Tsarnaev looked straight ahead, showing no emotion, as the sentence was read. Jurors wiped away tears as the judge thanked them for their service.

“Your service as jurors in this case has been the very antithesis of mob law,” U.S District Judge George O’Toole Jr. told the jury. “You can and you should be justly proud of your service in this case.”

The judgment comes from the same jury who found Tsarnaev guilty on all 30 counts related to the April 15, 2013, bomb attacks and four-day manhunt. The jury found him responsible for killing four people, seriously maiming 17 and injuring hundreds more.

In most cases I’m not personally a fan of the death penalty. If there were any possibility that a mistake had been made makes me uncomfortable with the notion. However, when the evidence is beyond a shadow of a doubt AND the crimes committed so heinous, I’m completely on board. The pain and suffering Tsarnaev caused not only to his victims but the psyche of the city of Boston is unconscionable.

It’s worth noting, however, that appeals to the verdict and death penalty could take up years. Sadly, Boston may not move completely past this nightmare for years.

Boston marathon survivor Sydney Corcoran tweeted her relief:

Boston marathon shows strength and defiance with over 32,000 runners a year after bombing

A year after bombs devastated Boston during it’s annual marathon, more than 32,000 ran today in a show of strength and solidarity with the words “Boston Strong” everywhere.

Heightened surveillance and more than 90 bomb sniffing dogs and officers watched over the race. No security threats were reported other than some unattended bags.

From the AP:

In what some saw as altogether fitting, Meb Keflezighi, a 38-year-old U.S. citizen who came to this country from Eritrea as a boy, became the first American in 31 years to win the men’s race.

As he was presented with the trophy and laurel wreath, “The Star-Spangled Banner” echoed over Boylston Street, where the explosions rang out a year ago.

“I came as a refugee, and the United States gave me hope,” said Keflezighi, who wrote the names of the three dead on his bib along with that of the MIT police officer who was killed during the manhunt that paralyzed Boston.

Muslim Boston Marathon victim sues Glenn Beck for slander and defamation

Muslim victim of Boston Marathon bombing sues Glenn Beck for defamation and slander (via Raw Story )

A Muslim victim of the Boston Marathon bombing has sued Glenn Beck for defamation and slander after the talk show host accused him of funding the attacks. Race spectator Abdulrahman Alharbi filed a federal lawsuit against Beck and his companies, The…