News Round-Up: July 8, 2021

Edward Gal and Hans Peter Minderhoud (image via Instagram)
Some news items you might have missed: • Instinct Magazine: Swedish couple Edward Gal and Hans Peter Minderhoud (above) will be representing the Netherlands at the Olympics in dressage – a type of horse riding that tests the teamwork and power of a rider with their horse. Together they won a team bronze medal at the 2014 World Championships, and each have an Olympic medal: silver for Minderhoud in 2008 and bronze for Gal in 2012. • The Gaily Grind: Caitlyn Jenner, whose net worth is estimated to be roughly $100 million, wants to deal with California’s population of more than 60,000 homeless people by moving them to “big open fields.” • The Guardian: Organizers of the Miss Mexico 2021 pageant pushed ahead in spite of a Covid-19 outbreak that infected almost half the contestants. At least 15 of the 32 contestants in the pageant tested positive for coronavirus as well as a pageant staff member.

Washington Post: Michael Avenatti — who made headlines representing an adult-film actress who claimed an affair with Donald Trump before he was president — was sentenced to 30 months in prison on Thursday, after being convicted for trying to extort Nike Inc. He faced up to 11 years in jail. • Pink News: A New Jersey appeal court has upheld a massive $3.5 million fine against a conversion therapy practice, which was shut down after former patients alleged widespread abuse. • CNN: Researchers estimate that there would have been about 279,000 additional deaths due to Covid-19 — about 46% more than there were — and as many as 1.25 million additional hospitalizations if there had been no vaccinations. • ABC News: Pfizer will seek U.S. authorization for a third dose of its COVID-19 vaccine. Data from the company’s booster study suggests people’s antibody levels jump five- to 10-fold after a third dose.

Drama: Pageant Crown Snatched From Winner On Live TV

Former winner of Mrs. Sri Lanka snatches crown from new queen

Former winner of Mrs. Sri Lanka snatches crown from new queen
The crown has been snatched! (screen capture)
Crowned and uncrowned! There was serious drama during a beauty pageant this weekend when Pushpika De Silva won the title of “Mrs Sri Lanka” during the nationally televised event on Sunday. Moments after being crowned by the wife of the country’s Prime Minister, the 2019 winner and current Mrs. World – Caroline Jurie – dramatically appeared on stage and declared De Silva was disqualified from winning because she is divorced. “I am taking my first steps saying that the crown goes to the first runner up,” Ms. Jurie told the live TV audience. “There is a rule that prevents women who have already been married and are divorced.” She then approached a stunned De Silva, snatched the crown from her head, and placed the prized headpiece on the runner-up leaving De Silva to tearfully exit the stage.

The national director of Mrs Sri Lanka World, Chandimal Jayasinghe, told the BBC that the crown would be returned to De Silva on Tuesday. Expressing his disappointment in the history-making moment, he added, “It was a disgrace how Caroline Jurie behaved on the stage and the Mrs World organisation has already begun an investigation on the matter.” In a Facebook post, De Silva emphasized that while she is separated, “I’m still an un-divorced woman,” and dared her detractors to show documentation otherwise. She also shared she suffered head injuries when Jurie hurriedly took the crown from her head. According to the BBC, she plans to take legal action for the “unreasonable and insulting” way she was treated. Who thinks this might inspire some shenanigans in a future season of RuPaul’s Drag Race? Here’s another view of the snatching as seen on Sunday.