Since the announcement of Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy’s retirement, LGBTQ activists and advocates have expressed their deep concern about the community’s rights and protections being threatened by what will be a much more conservative successor.
What he didn’t say in his answer is he doesn’t have to ask. Trump has a pre-selected list of 25 candidates that have already been vetted by the ultra-conservative Federalist Society. It’s a foregone conclusion that all of them have been screened for far-right positions on the law.
While its unlikely that marriage equality would ever be overturned in a wholesale manner, what many legal experts say consider possible is the Supreme Court handing down ‘carve outs’ in rulings regarding ‘religious liberty’ that would allow for legalized discrimination of LGBTQ people.
This morning, hate group leader Tony Perkins, of the virulently anti-LGBTQ organization Family Research Council, made clear on Fox News exactly what his faction of conservatives are looking at in a new Supreme Court justice.
“Given the fact that the left wants to make this all about abortion – I think it’s much bigger, I think we have religious liberty, we’ve got freedom of speech, the First Amendment in the crosshairs of the left.
“But they want to make it about life and if I were the president, I’d say, ‘Game on. I’m going to pick someone that’s beyond reproach.’ I think this supercharges the president’s base to get behind him in his pick and I think that spills over into the midterm election.”
Even though Trump falsely campaigned on the premise he would be an “LGBT ally,” his actions since taking office have demonstrated exactly the opposite.
Buzzfeed’s Dominic Holden has compiled a list of the many ways the Trump administration has worked against the LGBTQ community including:
• Reversed a federal policy that said transgender workers were protected from discrimination under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
• Argued that its legal to fire LGBTQ employees for being
• Supported Colorado baker Jack Phillips at the Supreme Court for turning away gay customers
• Withdrawn guidance that said Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 bans anti-transgender discrimination in federally funded schools
• Proposed banning transgender service members in the U.S. military
• Declined to appoint an LGBTQ liaison for the White House that would help communication between the administration and LGBTQ organizations and advocates
This is clearly a time that we, as a community, have to stay woke. We have to stay vigilant. We have to be involved.
A post shared by RED HOT (@redhot100) on Jun 3, 2018 at 12:45pm PDT
• Special Counsel Robert S. Mueller brought new obstruction charges on Friday against President Trump’s former campaign chairman, Paul Manafort, and added allegations against a close associate, who prosecutors suspect has ties to Russian intelligence. Manafort could have his current bail revoked as Mueller’s team caught Manafort contacting possible witnesses in his case which is seen as attempting to influence their testimony.
• Remember convicted gay basher Kathryn Knott who went to jail for leading an attack on a gay couple in Philly’s Center City neighborhood? Bucks County Commissioners approved a settlement agreement of more than $52K with a Norristown woman who claimed the county District Attorney’s Office retaliated against her because of disparaging comments she made about Knott on social media.
• Check out new music from Zach Adam Feat. Adam Joseph “Gravity,” from new LGBTQ music label, Magic Town Media.
The track is a gorgeous pop track about yearning to overcome addiction and depression. I like the track muchly.
If you are considering suicide please call and reach out – The Trevor Lifeline is a 24/7 crisis intervention and suicide prevention phone service available at 1-866-488-7386.
In an interview with Politico’s “Off Message” podcast, anti-LGBT right-winger Tony Perkins said that conservative Evangelicals have basically given Donald Trump a “mulligan” for his personal failings regarding alleged affairs and the infamous “grab’em by the pussy” comment on video.
Perkins made it clear that as long as Trump’s policies stay in line with far-right conservatives, they’re willing to turn a blind eye to his personal issues and racist comments.
Similarly, in a recent CNN interview, evangelical leader Franklin Graham also swept Trump’s personal shortcomings aside saying, “These alleged affairs, they’re alleged with Trump, didn’t happen while he was in office.”
“This happened 11, 12, 13, 14 years ago,” he said. “And so, I think there is a big difference and not that we give anybody a pass, but we have to look at the timeline and that was before he was in office.”
Responding to those comments on MSNBC’s “Hardball,” former RNC chairman Michael Steele was not having any of that:
“I have very simple admonition: just shut the hell up and don’t preach to me about anything ever again. I don’t want to hear it, because after telling me who to love, what to believe, what to do and what not to do and now you sit back and the prostitutes don’t matter, the grabbing the you-know-what doesn’t matter, the outright behavior and lies don’t matter, just shut up! They have no voice of authority anymore for me.”
• Anti-LGBT hate group leader Tony Perkins helped to cover up a sexual assault by now-disgraced GOP Ohio State Rep. Wesley Goodman back in 2015. Goodman allegedly invited an 18-year-old male to crash in his hotel room and when the teenager woke up Goodman had unbuttoned his pants and was pulling his zipper down.
• Miss Coco Peru, famous for her illuminating shopping trips, heads out to Walmart in search of a Wonder Woman crock pot. Watch below.
• It’s 112 degrees here in Las Vegas – I can’t imagine grilling in my backyard. So, I’ll just look at fitness model Lony Pizarro tend to his grill 😉
• Virulently anti-LGBT activist Tony Perkins does NOT appreciate the irony that Rep. Steve Scalise, who has attended white nationalist events in the past, was saved at last week’s DC shooting by a married, black lesbian.
• Barbie’s boyfriend Ken got multiple makeovers including seven skin tones, three body types and even a man-bun. I wonder if Barbie knows all the Kens are attending Pride this year…?
Ken gets a makeover
• Ryan Phillippe reflects on playing the first openly gay teenager on TV: “There had never been a gay teenager represented on television up until that point: It’s before Will & Grace, it’s before Ellen came out, it’s before any of that stuff. I remember the fan mail that we would get, my mother and I would get, from gay teenagers or from parents of gay teenagers who found a way in to relate to or talk to their child through the show. Entertainment media can do those things, it can make people think differently or see a different side of something and I do remember and appreciating that — even back then when I was only a teenager myself. But in terms of like the larger view, I didn’t have a full understanding of how important it could have been, but I’m proud to have done it, I’m proud that that’s something I can say was a part of my career.”
• Asked why White House press briefings are becoming less frequent and off-camera, Trump advisor Steve Bannon replied to The Atlantic, “Sean (Spicer) got fatter.”
• The woofy Kilted Coaches show their support for Pride Month via this “rainbow-y” (kilt-less) video:
Bravo Angela Peoples of GetEQUAL for calling out anti-LGBT activist Tony Perkins.
Perkins was one of several “faith leaders” who met with presidential candidate Donald Trump yesterday at a private meeting where, it seems, Trump tried making the case that he IS indeed ‘Christian’ enough to be the president of the United States.
The advocacy group GetEQUAL took credit for the demonstration in a statement sent on Tuesday afternoon, identifying the protesters as the organization’s co-directors, Heather Cronk and Angela Peoples.
“The incisive hate-mongering of Donald Trump and right-wing religious ‘leaders’ is responsible not only for the massacre in Orlando, but also for the systemic violence that trans and queer people of color face everyday,” Peoples said in the statement. “That violence doesn’t just happen in the streets or at nightclubs — it happens in the legislative chambers where right wing politicians have passed over 250 bills restricting the rights of LGBTQ people and people of color.”
According to virulently anti-LGBT activist Tony Perkins, the haters have department store Target on the ropes due to a boycott launched against the super-stores’ policy of allowing transgender customers to use a restroom that aligns with their gender identity.
Via press release:
After more than 1.1 million people pledged to boycott Target, celebrities and corporations alike are having second thoughts about crossing Americans on such a consensus issue. The decision by the retail giant is not only sparking massive backlash, but it’s helping the country get a real picture of the controversy in North Carolina. It’s also shown liberals that without the big media’s cover, twisting the facts of the law, they’re all by themselves.
There’s even more evidence of that this week, as more singers are keeping their concert dates in North Carolina than canceling them. Even more telling, not one business has threatened to leave the state after seeing what happened to the retail giant — which has taken a $2.5 billion hit since letting grown men in women’s restrooms and dressing rooms. After executives announced the change, shares dropped 6 percent in just 10 days.
I’ll note that Target stock is currently trading at $80.01 (at this writing). One year ago today, the stock closed at $79.65.
Hardly bringing Target to it’s knees, is it?
As a matter of fact, I was at Target yesterday buying food and household items. Not only am I a regular customer, but I make point to go there thanks to the store’s inclusive policies.
Virulently anti-gay hate group leader Tony Perkins has his panties in a wad because Bruce Springsteen and Bryan Adams didn’t want to pretend like it’s “business as usual” after the passage of LGBT “hate laws” in North Carolina and Mississippi.
Posted to the Family Research Council website:
He was born to run all right. Bruce Springsteen is blowing off his tour date in North Carolina Friday because the state is daring to let businesses set their own bathroom policies. What a scandalous idea! Like other liberal extremists, The Boss (or is it Bossy?) is furious that the North Carolina government won’t barge into board rooms and tell companies how to operate. Apparently he wants to do away with the free market principles that are making conservative states thrive and orchestrate a hostile takeover of businesses. “Some things are more important than a rock show, and this fight against prejudice and bigotry — which is happening as I write — is one of them.”
“Important things” like letting grown men use a girls’ restroom? Of course, Springsteen hasn’t canceled his two Brooklyn concerts later this month — despite the fact that New York State doesn’t have gender-free bathrooms either. (Nor do 32 other states!) But then, no one ever accused liberals of being consistent. “It’s disappointing he’s not following through on his commitments,” Rep. Mark Walker (R-N.C.) fired back. “Bruce is known to be on the radical left, and he’s got every right to be so, but I consider this a bully tactic.”
And Springsteen isn’t the only singer working in concert with LGBT activists. Bryan Adams is pulling out of his Biloxi, Mississippi stop because he says he can’t “in good conscience” perform there. Ironically, conscience is exactly what this debate is about! Shouldn’t Mississippians have the same right to exercise theirs? Shouldn’t they be able to choose what events they participate in? Because that’s exactly what the new law is about: giving Christians the same rights to live out their beliefs as someone like Bryan Adams. The Protecting Freedom of Conscience from Government Discrimination Act does what the First Amendment was intended to: guard men and women with natural marriage views from state-sponsored persecution. If you’re against that, then you’re against the Bill of Rights!
Among many things, what Perkins gets wrong here is these “bathroom laws” are not really about heterosexual men wanting to dress up in drag to get a peek at women using the bathroom. There have been no reported incidences of that happening in states which have passed LGBT protections.
What all this mean-spirited legislation is about is retaliation for the legalization of marriage equality across the country.
“We can’t keep gays and lesbians from marrying? Fine! We’ll attack from another angle.”
Let me illustrate how silly these laws are: See this guy in the pic below? This transgender man will now be forced to use the ladies room in these states.
I’d love someone to show this to one of the idiots who voted for these bills and ask how they would feel about their wives and daughters using the ladies room with him?