Reuters is reporting that George Zimmerman, who shot and killed unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin in 2012, has successfully auctioned off the gun used in the killing for $250,000.
His offer to sell the Kel-Tec PF9 9mm handgun on UnitedGunGroup.com drew praise from gun rights supporters and scorn from critics who accused him of seeking to profit from the 17-year-old’s death.
In a statement on Twitter after the bidding closed on Wednesday, United Gun Group defended its decision to host the auction and said it would have no further comments.
On his own website that day, Zimmerman said the auction had “raised funds for several worthy causes.” He has said he would use proceeds to counter violence against law enforcement officers by the group Black Lives Matter and to fight Democratic presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton’s “anti-firearm rhetoric.”
I highly doubt Zimmerman will donate all of the proceeds to charity. I’m sure he counts himself as a “worthy cause.”
On February 26, 2012, George Zimmerman shot and killed 17 year-old Trayvon Martin.
A year and a half later, Zimmerman was acquitted on charges of second-degree murder and manslaughter based on Florida’s “stand your ground” laws. Zimmerman portrayed himself as the victim in the entire incident.
Since then, Zimmerman has had several run-ins with the police which continue to illustrate violent tendencies.
Now, Zimmerman has chosen to inflame societal concerns once again.
Via the Washington Post:
Now, Zimmerman is auctioning off the 9-millimeter pistol he used to kill Martin on a website called GunBroker.com.
“I am honored and humbled to announce the sale of an American Firearm Icon,” he wrote in the description of the gun used to kill the unarmed, black teenager. “The firearm for sale is the firearm that was used to defend my life and end the brutal attack from Trayvon Martin on 2/26/2012.”
He wrote that the proceeds will be used to “fight [Black Lives Matter] violence against Law Enforcement officers” and to “ensure the demise of Angela Correy’s persecution career and Hillary Clinton’s anti-firearm rhetoric,” though he hasn’t expounded upon how.
UPDATE – Well, that was fast. The listing for George Zimmerman’s gun appears to have been removed from the site. Gee, do you think they were surprised by the uproar?
Some people go through life with absolutely no problems with law enforcement or trouble involving guns.
And then, there’s George Zimmerman.
Zimmerman, who gained attention nation-wide for the 2013 shooting death of Travon Martin, has once again been implicated in an incident gun fire. He apparently suffered a minor gunshot wound today in an altercation involving another man who authorities say may have an “ongoing dispute” with Zimmerman.
The shooting involved Zimmerman and another man and happened on Lake Mary Boulevard about 12:45 p.m., police said.
“He walked normally into the ambulance, so he wasn’t being helped or nothing,” said witness Ricardo Berrare. “They actually backed up the ambulance next to his driver side so he could walk into the door.”
Chopper 2 video showed a bullet hole in the passenger window the vehicle Zimmerman was in.
“The officer was talking to him through the back window because the other one had a hole in it. It was all shattered,” Berrare said.
In January, Zimmerman was accused of assault by his girlfriend, but no charges were filed after she recanted her allegation.
He was also arrested in November 2013 on domestic violence allegations after his girlfriend called police. His girlfriend later recanted her story and charges were never filed.
Zimmerman was acquitted in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin in 2013.
The Department of Justice has officially announced there will be no charges filed against George Zimmerman for the 2012 shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.
From ABC News:
ABC News has learned Martin’s family will soon be notified that the Justice Department will not be filing charges against George Zimmerman, who shot the 17-year-old after a confrontation in 2012. Thursday marks three years to the day since Martin was killed.
Federal prosecutors concluded there is not sufficient evidence to prove Zimmerman, a neighborhood watchman in Sanford, Fla., intentionally violated Martin’s civil rights, sources told ABC News.
News stories you may have missed:
• The creators of WICKED are hoping for 2016 release of major motion picture adaptation of their blockbuster Broadway musical.
• Sen. Marco Rubio doesn’t understand the role of the judicial arm of government.
• Even with HUGE loopholes built in for “religious liberty,” haters in Plano, Texas, are gearing up to repeal the recent protections passed by the city council for LGBT folks.
• A Texas lawmaker has authored legislation that would take away a state employee’s salary and pension if they should ever issue a marriage license to a same-sex couple.
• North Carolina is heading to SCOTUS asking for review of the ruling which overturned the state’s ban on same-sex marriage.
• George Zimmerman, the man who killed Trayon Martin, has been arrested. Again. For the 4th time since his Trayvon Martin trial.
Like a Hollywood celebrity or world class athlete, George Zimmerman attended a Florida gun show to sign autographs and take pictures with “fans.”
His appearance at the New Orlando Gun Show was not without trouble though.
The gun show had to be scaled down, however, after community pressure forced organizers to move to a smaller venue.
“They told us they canceled for community pressure,” said Mike Piwowarski, a show organizer. “They were getting phone calls and backlash, and didn’t want that kind of person there.”
Piwowarski said he was angry the Majestic canceled the event and he plans to sue for an estimated $300,000 in lost gun sales.
He said he supported Zimmerman during his trial in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin and after he was acquitted.
There’s so much wrong about this it’s hard to know where to start. The day an admitted killer of a teenager sits down to sign autographs like someone’s hero is a dark day in America.
George Zimmerman still says he was the victim on the night he shot and killed teenager Trayvon Martin.
CNN’s Chris Cuomo: “Do you regret that you killed Trayvon Martin?”
George Zimmerman: “Unfortunately, the Department of Justice is conducting a civil rights investigation. Certainly, I think about that night and I think my life would be tremendously easier if I stayed home.”
When Cuomo asks if things would be different today, that Zimmerman wouldn’t have ended up killing Trayvon Martin, had Zimmerman stayed home that night, Zimmerman replies, “He (Trayvon) wouldn’t have ended up attacking me.”
Draw your won conclusions, folks.
|George Zimmerman and rapper DMX
According to E! Online, the (very bad idea) “celebrity boxing match” between rapper DMX and acquited killer of Trayvon Martin, George Zimmerman has been cancelled.
The supposed Celebrity Boxing Match between George Zimmerman and DMX has been canceled, Owner of Celebrity Boxing Damon Feldman announced on Saturday.
“The George Zimmerman fight is canceled I’m sorry for anyone I hurt with this but this was a very big opportunity thank you,” he tweeted.
In a series of follow-up tweets, Feldman explained that there is “more to life than money” and that “people’s feelings meant more to me.”
DMX spokesman Domenick Nati told E! News in a statement: “Damon Feldman has announced that the George Zimmerman fight is cancelled via his Twitter. As previously stated, DMX never agreed to the fight and we thank you for all of the support from DMX’s fans.”
None of DMX’s upcoming concerts will be affected by this decision, Nati added.
E! News confirmed on Wednesday that Zimmerman would face off against the rapper next month and Floyd Mayweather Sr. would act as the referee.
After a series of tweets addressing the cancellation, Feldman quickly deleted all related tweets. Reading further back in his Twitter history, it’s clear he was getting push-back about producing and promoting what many considered a very bad idea.