• Christian Post: A licensed therapist is suing Washington state over its 2018 law banning so-called ‘conversion therapy’ for minors. The therapist is being represented by virulently anti-LGBTQ hate group Alliance Defending Freedom.
• NBC Out: Actor and singer Demi Lovato came out as nonbinary today and said they would be changing their pronouns to they/them. “Today is a day I’m so happy to share more of my life with you all,” Lovato wrote in a social media post in announcing the news.
• Washington Post: The European Union on Wednesday agreed to open its borders to vaccinated Americans and others, after more than a year in which travel into the bloc has been severely restricted, a spokesman said Wednesday.
• Out Music: LGBTQ-led band Hemisphere has been nominated for ‘Best World Music Album’ by the prestigious San Diego Music Awards for their album American Dreams. The album is meant to emphasize and promote the spirit of ‘Unity’, ‘Diversity’, and ‘Equality’. Hemisphere members Rob Shinno and Don Bowman have been publicly out since 1994.
• CBS News: Fox News Media filed a motion to dismiss a $1.6 billion defamation lawsuit filed against it by Dominion Voting Systems over false claims about the 2020 presidential election amplified by some of its hosts. The motion laughingly says Fox’s “responsible journalists covered both sides” of the controversy and that the network’s opinion hosts provided commentary which “a reasonable viewer” would consider as little more than “hyperbole.”
• Twitter: Rep. Tim Ryan was DONE with Republican House members who voted against a bipartisan commission to investigate the January invasion of the U.S. Capitol building. The measure passed by a vote of 252-175, with 35 Republicans joining Democrats in supporting the plan.
Note – Rep. Greg Pence (R-IN), brother of former Vice President Mike Pence, voted against the bill even though the rioters on January 6 called for hanging his brother.
Georgia’s Secretary of State, Brad Raffensperger, issued a statement today regarding former legal adviser to Donald Trump Sidney Powell who repeatedly claimed there was election fraud in the Peach State.
Among other things, Powell alleged without evidence that Dominion Voting Systems was part of a massive international communist plot to rig the election. Powell never presented any evidence to back up her claims.
In January, Dominion filed a $1.3 billion lawsuit against Powell over her conspiracy theories.
But this week, Powell’s legal team filed a statement in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia asking for the case to be dismissed saying “no reasonable person would conclude that [her] statements were truly statements of fact.”
The statement from Raffensperger, titled ‘The Kraken Cracks Under Pressure,’ states, “In the face of legal action, Sidney Powell admitted that her effort to make millions lying to the American people had no facts to begin with.”
In the court filing, Powell and her lawyers point to Dominion’s criticism that Powell’s claims were “wild accusations,” “outlandish claims,” “inherently improbable,” or “impossible” as evidence that “reasonable people would not accept such statements as fact but view them only as claims.”
Powell and her legal team now say that her claims about voter fraud, stolen elections, or switched votes were merely “her opinions and legal theories.”
It’s worth noting that Powell’s claims in the weeks following the 2020 election helped fuel belief that the election was ‘stolen’ which led to the violent insurrection of the U.S. Capitol building on January 6. Seven people died as a result of that event as well has dozens seriously injured.
Over 4,000 lawyers have signed an open letter calling for disciplinary action to be taken against Powell for her outrageous behavior following the 2020 election.
I'd like Sidney Powell to tell this to every single one of the insurrectionists who stormed the Capitol on January 6th with intent to hang the Vice President and murder the Speaker of the House.
Ugh. But the damage is already done. She led millions of people down a rabbit hole where it’s going to take several years to get our loved ones back to reality. She should NOT have a license to practice law.