Some news items you might have missed:
• Variety: An event for Television Academy members Monday night was not just about celebrating the success of Disney+’s live-streamed Elton John/Dodger Stadium special from last November, but about reminding potential voters that the star lacks just one vowel in his EGOT crown.
• Des Moines Register: A new poll shows majorities of Iowans support Republican legislation to restrict instruction on LGBTQ topics in schools and ban gender-affirming care for transgender minors.
Republican-led bills to restrict instruction on LGBTQ topics and ban gender-affirming care for minors caused an uproar around Central Iowa. But slim majorities of Iowans statewide say they support the proposals. https://t.co/NA9wUpecUv
— Des Moines Register (@DMRegister) March 13, 2023
• Business Insider: The DeSantis administration is revoking the Hyatt Regency Miami’s alcohol license after one of its facilities hosted “A Drag Queen Christmas,” a holiday-themed drag show that tours in 36 different cities and features stars from the reality show “RuPaul’s Drag Race.”
• The Advocate: Music producer and DJ Diplo spoke candidly about his experience with men in a recent interview saying he’s sure he’s received oral sex from a man before but “I don’t know if it’s gay unless you make eye contact.” #hmm
"I’m sure I’ve gotten a blowjob from a guy before," Diplo said. https://t.co/qwtBlxRXO6
— The Advocate (@TheAdvocateMag) March 14, 2023
• New York Times: Gov. Ron DeSantis ruffled even GOP feathers when he called the Russian war on Ukraine “a territorial dispute between Ukraine and Russia.” Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) said “The Neville Chamberlain approach to aggression never ends well,” comparing DeSantis to the British prime minister who appeased Adolf Hitler.
• LGBTQ Nation: Former Vice President Mike Pence joked at the Gridiron Club dinner that out Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg went on “maternity leave” in 2021 when his kids were born prematurely: “Pete is the only person in human history to have a child and everyone else gets postpartum depression.”
Pete’s husband Chasten clapped back…
An honest question for you, @Mike_Pence, after your attempted joke this weekend. If your grandchild was born prematurely and placed on a ventilator at two months old – their tiny fingers wrapped around yours as the monitors beep in the background – where would you be? pic.twitter.com/pCWvl8pb5N
— Chasten Buttigieg (@Chasten) March 13, 2023