Some news items you might have missed:
• Out: Heartstopper star Kit Connor announced he’s deleted the Twitter app following accusations of ‘queerbaiting’ after being photographed holding the hand of a female co-star of a film he’s shooting. Folks, Kit is 18 – please leave him and his sexuality alone.
this is a silly silly app. bit bored of it now, deleting twitter 🙂
— Kit Connor (@kit_connor) September 12, 2022
• Morning Consult: As a bipartisan group of senators works to advance a bill to codify same-sex marriage rights at the federal level, a new Morning Consult/Politico survey shows 3 in 5 Americans support such legislation.
• Xtra Magazine: I highly recommend you read this terrific article about the life-changing power of West Virginia’s only queer youth summer camp
Being queer in Appalachia can be hard, but this one-of-a-kind program hopes to make it a little easier.
West Virginian queer youth have a safe place to express themselves and connect with their community at the @ACLU‘s Appalachian Queer Youth Summit. @Nico_Lang visited the program and spoke to the campers about what it looks like to be queer in Appalachia.https://t.co/3tVQEybbN1
— Xtra (@XtraMagazine) September 12, 2022
• The Daily Dot: A teacher in Missouri came under fire from far-right extremists for having a four inch by four inch Pride flag displayed in her classroom. And then, of course, Proud Boys showed up at the next school board meeting to intimidate the teacher.
• Media Matters: Nut job Alex Jones says the judge in his current lawsuit is a “George Soros operative” who gets money from a Soros-funded PAC. FYI – Connecticut Superior Court judges are appointed, not elected, so she would have no need for a “Soros-funded PAC.” Also – she was appointed by former Connecticut Gov. John Rowland, a Republican.
• JoeMyGod: The anti-LGBTQ hate group Family Research Council was stunned by the backlash it received after tweeting, “Abortion is never medically necessary to save the life of a mother.” In an email to followers, they whined about being labeled “misinformation.”
– Ectopic pregnancy
– Uterine sepsis
– HELLP syndrome
– Placental abruption
I’m sure any woman who died from any of these and many more are just playing dead right? https://t.co/25sJbRbNyE
— Salts (@FleshToaster) September 13, 2022