Some news items you might have missed:
• Out: Actor/activist Johnny Sibilly (Hacks, Queer As Folk, POSE) celebrates his birthday today.
• Pink News: Former tennis champion Margaret Court claims she is the victim of LGBTQ bullying and is being “ostracized” from the tennis community due to her homophobic, Conservative beliefs. In the past, Court has compared gay people to Hitler, and called homosexuality “abominable.”
Disgraced tennis champ Margaret Court thinks she's the victim of 'LGBT bullying' https://t.co/xmYySK3vyl
— PinkNews (@PinkNews) September 5, 2022
• LGBTQ Nation: LGBTQ youth already experience higher rates of suicide risk than their non-queer peers. Now, a new study suggests that having a military parent can increase those rates for queer youth even more.
• JoeMyGod: Extremists sparked violence on Sunday outside the first Pride event in Riverside, California, since 2009.
— JoeMyGod (@JoeMyGod) September 5, 2022
• Deadline: President Joe Biden responded to a heckler in Wisconsin today saying, “All right – God love ya.” The man was booed by other attendees and set upon by security, but Biden was more magnanimous. “No, no, no … let him go. Look, everybody’s entitled to be an idiot.”
Biden responds to heckler: Let him go. Everyone is entitled to be an idiot pic.twitter.com/fFbeiHcMAt
— Acyn (@Acyn) September 5, 2022
• CNN: Brendan Fraser received a six-minute standing ovation at the Venice Film Festival following a screening of his new film, The Whale. Directed by Darren Aronofsky, the film focuses on Fraser’s character, Charlie, a reclusive 600-pound man trying to reconnect with his estranged daughter.
• Attitude Magazine: Joel Kim Booster (Fire Island) defended controversial comments made by Billy Eichner (BROS) about so-called “disposable” LGBTQ content on streaming platforms. “It seems like he was pretty inarticulate in his excitement about his movie getting a theatrical release, which is really fucking cool…”
— Joel Kim Booster (@ihatejoelkim) September 4, 2022