Wishing everyone a fun and frolicsome 4th of July as the country recognizes the birth of our nation.
We’ve come a ways from last July 4th, when travel was way down and gatherings were – at least supposed to be – kept within our pandemic bubbles.
This year, thanks to COVID vaccines, holiday celebrations can be safer and larger.
Here’s some stats on how far we’ve come:
• According to the CDC, 67% of U.S. adults have gotten at least one vaccine dose. Among Americans 12 and older, 64% have gotten at least one shot.
• According to the results of the Axios-Ipsos Coronavirus Index a year ago versus today in regard to how folks feel about returning to pre-coronavirus lives:
June 26-29, 2020: Large to moderate risk – 70%, Small to no risk – 29%
June 25-28, 2021: Large to moderate risk – 28%, Small to no risk – 72%
• AAA projected holiday travel this weekend will be almost back to pre-pandemic levels — just 2.5% lower than in 2019.
• An expected 43.6 million Americans will drive to their destinations, the highest on record for this holiday and 5% more than the previous record set in 2019.
• And air travel is definitely bouncing back – TSA reports it screened more people on July 1 and 2 than it did on those dates in 2019!
Have an awesome holiday and make sure you tune in for PBS’ A Capitol Fourth tonight!