Donald Trump, speaking in Iowa today, caught more flack from his own party as he criticized Sen. John McCain, a decorated Vietnam War veteran.
“He’s not a war hero,” Trump said. He then added, “He’s a war hero because he was captured.” Then, he added, “I like people that weren’t captured.”
The other GOP hopefuls finally found a reason to weigh in on Trump’s outrageous statements with this one.
• Former Texas Gov. Rick Perry: Trump is “unfit to be commander-in-chief.”
• Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal: “After Donald Trump spends six years in a POW camp, he can weigh in on John McCain’s service.”
• Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush: “Enough with the slanderous attacks. @SenJohnMcCain and all our veterans — particularly POWs have earned our respect and admiration.”
• Sen. Lindsey Graham: “If there was ever any doubt that Donald Trump should not be our Commander in Chief, this stupid statement should end all doubt.”
• Mitt Romney, 2012 GOP presidential nominee lowered the boom like this:
Trump later tried to reframe on his remarks saying “If a person is captured, they’re a hero as far as I’m concerned. I don’t like the job John McCain is doing in the Senate because he is not taking care of our veterans.”
Trump did not serve in the military during the Vietnam war via student deferment and then medical deferment. He has also said, “I was not a big fan of the Vietnam war.”